Re: [pyxl] xlrd-0.8.0 .xlsx formatting_info=True not implemented

Discussion in 'Python' started by python-excel@raf.org, Aug 30, 2012.

  1. Guest

    John Yeung wrote:

    > > is there any other way to tell how many digits excel would round to
    > > when displaying a floating point number? that's my only reason for
    > > needing formatting_info=True.

    > I have not personally used it, but OpenPyXL is another option for
    > working with .xlsx files, and it might provide the formatting info you
    > need:
    >
    > http://packages.python.org/openpyxl/index.html
    > http://pypi.python.org/pypi/openpyxl/1.5.8
    >
    > John Y.

    thanks but openpyxl doesn't work well enough.
    most of the spreadsheets i need to read contain
    dropdown lists with data validation using a named
    formula like: OFFSET(Data!$K$2,0,0,COUNTA(Data!$K:$K),1)
    which causes openpyxl to throw a NamedRangeException.
    i don't even care about the named objects. i just want
    to know what's in the cell, not what other possible
    values the cell might have had. :)

    apart from that, it does give access to number formats
    so your suggestion would work for simpler spreadsheets.

    hopefully the intention that xlrd not support formats in xlsx
    files will change one day into an intention to support them. :)

    until then my users can keep manually saving xlsx files they
    receive as xls before importing them. :-(

    maybe i need to investigate some perl modules or pyuno instead.
    perl's Spreadsheet::XSLX module handles formats. it gets the
    date formats a bit wrong but it's workaroundable.

    cheers,
    raf
    , Aug 30, 2012