Re: [Q] How to specify options for 'setup.py install' by environmentvariable?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Makoto Kuwata, Jun 10, 2012.

  1. On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Ned Deily <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >  Makoto Kuwata <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> "setup.py install" command supports options such as --prefix,
    >> --install-scripts, and so on.
    >> For example:
    >>
    >>   $ python setup.py install --prefix=$PWD/local --install-scripts=$PWD/bin
    >>
    >> Question: is it possible to specify these options by environment variable?
    >> I want to specify --prefix or --install-scripts options, but it is
    >> too troublesome for me to specify them in command line every time.

    > There are some environment variable options for Distutils-based (i.e.
    > with setup.py) installations.  The supported method is to put
    > frequently-used preferences into one of several configuration files.
    > See
    > http://docs.python.org/install/index.html#inst-config-fileshttp://docs.py
    > thon.org/install/index.html#inst-config-files

    Thank you Ned,
    but I can't find environment variable name on that page which is
    equivarent to '--install-scripts' or other options.
    $PYTHONHOME seems equivarent to --prefix option, but the following
    reports error.

    $ mkdir -p local/lib/python2.7/site-packages
    $ PYTHONHOME=local python setup.py install
    ImportError: No module named site

    --
    regards,
    makoto kuwata