Re: [Q] How to specify options for 'setup.py install' by environmentvariable?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ned Deily, Jun 10, 2012.

  1. Ned Deily

    Ned Deily Guest

    In article
    <CAFTm5Rs18QJskcvMiEWyOsbifBDi6wrpuA9kKC_1t_C2t57R=>,
    Makoto Kuwata <> wrote:
    > On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Ned Deily <> wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <>,
    > >  Makoto Kuwata <> wrote:
    > >> "setup.py install" command supports options such as --prefix,
    > >> --install-scripts, and so on.
    > >> For example:
    > >>
    > >>   $ python setup.py install --prefix=$PWD/local --install-scripts=$PWD/bin
    > >>
    > >> Question: is it possible to specify these options by environment variable?
    > >> I want to specify --prefix or --install-scripts options, but it is
    > >> too troublesome for me to specify them in command line every time.

    > > There are some environment variable options for Distutils-based (i.e.
    > > with setup.py) installations.  The supported method is to put
    > > frequently-used preferences into one of several configuration files.
    > > See
    > > http://docs.python.org/install/index.html#inst-config-fileshttp://docs.py
    > > thon.org/install/index.html#inst-config-files

    > Thank you Ned,
    > but I can't find environment variable name on that page which is
    > equivarent to '--install-scripts' or other options.

    Sorry, I wasn't clear. Using the Distutils config files would be
    instead of setting environment variables. For example, you could do
    something like this:

    $ cat >$HOME/.pydistutils.cfg <<EOF
    [install]
    prefix = local
    install-scripts = local/bin
    EOF

    That will apply globally whenever you run a Distutils script, unless it
    is overridden by a $PWD/setup.cfg file with an [install] section.

    --
    Ned Deily,
    Ned Deily, Jun 10, 2012