Re: Q. What's the 'most interesting thing' that can be done with plain html ?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by spaghetti, Aug 9, 2003.

  1. spaghetti

    spaghetti Guest

    spaghetti, Aug 9, 2003

  2. "spaghetti" <> wrote...

    > Oh look! Beautiful sites designed with HTML and CSS (styling for HTML). No
    > Javascript even. Take a look at
    > http://www.mezzoblue.com/zengarden/alldesigns/
    >
    > :)

    I've got a question regarding that site...
    Why are those topic headers (ie. "The road to enlightenment") background
    images and not at least normal images or HTML headings? This can't be good
    for accessibility, can it? With no alt/title text and all?

    Or did I miss something somewhere saying that using background images as
    headings were the greatest thing since sliced bread?

    Nick.
    e n | c k m a, Aug 9, 2003

  3. spaghetti

    Isofarro Guest

    e n | c k m a wrote:

    > "spaghetti" <> wrote...
    >>
    >> Oh look! Beautiful sites designed with HTML and CSS (styling for HTML).
    >> No Javascript even. Take a look at
    >> http://www.mezzoblue.com/zengarden/alldesigns/
    >>
    >> :)
    >>

    > I've got a question regarding that site...
    > Why are those topic headers (ie. "The road to enlightenment") background
    > images and not at least normal images or HTML headings?

    It uses the Fahrner Image Replacement technique.

    > This can't be good
    > for accessibility, can it?

    The original technique had some accessibility problems, but that has
    recently been resolved. See
    <http://www.isolani.co.uk/blog/access/AccessibleFahrnerImageReplacement>

    > Or did I miss something somewhere saying that using background images as
    > headings were the greatest thing since sliced bread?

    Might have. Here's a source:
    <http://www.digital-web.com/features/feature_2003-08.shtml>

    --
    Iso.
    Web Standards: http://www.webstandards.org/
    Isofarro, Aug 9, 2003
  4. "Isofarro" <> wrote...
    > e n | c k m a wrote:
    >
    > > Or did I miss something somewhere saying that using background images as
    > > headings were the greatest thing since sliced bread?

    > Might have. Here's a source:
    > <http://www.digital-web.com/features/feature_2003-08.shtml>

    interesting! thanks for the links!
    Nick.
    e n | c k m a, Aug 9, 2003
  5. spaghetti

    Isofarro Guest

    Hmmm... Ian Lloyd over at accessify.com agrees with you there:
    <http://www.accessify.com/archives/2003_08_03_news-archives.asp#106016107246297283>

    Isofarro, Aug 9, 2003
  6. spaghetti

    Kris Guest

    In article <Xns93D29771F331Bjkorpelacstutfi@193.229.0.31>,
    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    > > The original technique had some accessibility problems, but that has
    > > recently been resolved.

    > I didn't take a very close look, but I did not find a solution to the
    > problem that when CSS is enabled and images are disabled, using background
    > image and suppressing text display does not work well.

    Will someone give Tom Gilder a medal then?
    <http://blog.tom.me.uk/2003/08/07/gilder_image_transform_technique.php>

    --
    Kris
    erlands (nl)
    Kris, Aug 9, 2003
  7. Kris <> wrote:

    >> I didn't take a very close look, but I did not find a solution to the
    >> problem that when CSS is enabled and images are disabled, using
    >> background image and suppressing text display does not work well.

    > Will someone give Tom Gilder a medal then?
    > <http://blog.tom.me.uk/2003/08/07/gilder_image_transform_technique.php>

    Maybe. I didn't see a demo there, and the markup sample lacks the crucial
    class attribute, but the idea is apparently to use positioning so that an
    element with empty content but a background image is laid over the text,
    and it seems to work.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 9, 2003