Re: QUERY: 'On Error Resume Next' scope rules

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Kevin Spencer, Jun 17, 2006.

  1. Perhaps the reason you haven't seen any discussion about it here is that
    although the "On Error" statement is included in VB.Net for those who have
    come from a VB6 or VBScript background (I would suppose), it is not
    recommended to use it. ASP and ASP.Net are entirely different technologies.
    ASP is purely procedural; ASP.Net is purely object-oriented. In fact, you
    are the first person I've ever heard of that has used it.

    You might be surprised to learn that the "infamous" try/catch structured
    exception handling is part of the .Net specification, and is supported by
    VB.Net, C#, and every other .Net language (AFAIK). It is far better to use
    try/catch than to use "On Error." You can find it documented here:

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fk6t46tz.aspx

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    Professional Chicken Salad Alchemist

    I recycle.
    I send everything back to the planet it came from.

    Kevin Spencer, Jun 17, 2006