Re: Quick query re: png transparency and ie

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jonathan N. Little, Jun 18, 2009.

  1. No_One wrote:
    > I use Linux, so my knowledge of ms products is little limited....We have a
    > png image with a transparent background for our business site, new material
    > not yet deployed...I understand or was told that IE 7 etc cannot handle png
    > transparent images. I did some checking on google and in usenet groups and
    > it seems to me this problem has been fixed by microsoft...has it been fixed
    > or is it still an issue that requires a work around.

    IE 7 can handle PNG with Alpha transparency, it is IE 6 and under that
    cannot.

    Some of IE6's deficiencies can be addressed with MS proprietary filter
    for IE.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 18, 2009

  2. Jonathan N. Little

    C A Upsdell Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > No_One wrote:
    >> I use Linux, so my knowledge of ms products is little limited....We
    >> have a
    >> png image with a transparent background for our business site, new
    >> material
    >> not yet deployed...I understand or was told that IE 7 etc cannot
    >> handle png
    >> transparent images. I did some checking on google and in usenet
    >> groups and
    >> it seems to me this problem has been fixed by microsoft...has it been
    >> fixed
    >> or is it still an issue that requires a work around.

    > IE 7 can handle PNG with Alpha transparency, it is IE 6 and under that
    > cannot.

    It is not clear whether the OP was referring to alpha transparency, so
    to clarify this: IE 4.01 and up have no problem with single-colour
    transparency; the IE 4-6 problems are with Alpha transparency.
    C A Upsdell, Jun 19, 2009

  3. C A Upsdell wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    >> IE 7 can handle PNG with Alpha transparency, it is IE 6 and under that
    >> cannot.

    > It is not clear whether the OP was referring to alpha transparency, so
    > to clarify this: IE 4.01 and up have no problem with single-colour
    > transparency; the IE 4-6 problems are with Alpha transparency.

    I was making that assumption. We folks voice trouble with PNGs and IE it
    is the Alpha transparency that is the problem, else they could easily
    substitute with GIF

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan