RE: Quixote Question

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Golden, Oct 7, 2004.

  1. Tim Golden

    Tim Golden Guest

    [Fuzzyman]
    | Quixote is a web-framework. Does it act as a server or can it act as a
    | frameowrk using the CGI protocol ?
    |
    | I would like to develop a website with user login, download manager,
    | statistics etc and I don't want to reinvent the wheel. *However* I am
    | using someone elses server, so I would like to do it using python CGI.
    |
    | Is this :
    | a) Possible with Quixote
    | b) A sensible use of Quixote

    Quixote is *not* a server; the developers recommend Apache,
    but basically it'll run with pretty much any kind of CGI,
    FastCGI, SCGI etc. etc. and comes bundled with a couple of
    sample servers based on Medusa and Twisted respectively.

    Quixote *is* a -- to me -- simple and logical way of mapping
    URLs to Python modules, classes and functions. It's not dissimilar
    to Zope, but *way* simpler to use and understand. It also includes
    the idea of PTL which is a Python import hook which simplifies
    pushing HTML out of Python functions. You can take the PTL or
    leave it, if you prefer some other HTML-mechanism like Cheetah
    or your homegrown stuff.

    There's also a helpful Quixote mailing list at
    http://mail.mems-exchange.org/mailman/listinfo/quixote-users

    TJG

    http://www.star.net.uk

    Tim Golden, Oct 7, 2004

  2. Tim Golden <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > [Fuzzyman]
    > | Quixote is a web-framework. Does it act as a server or can it act as a
    > | frameowrk using the CGI protocol ?
    > |
    > | I would like to develop a website with user login, download manager,
    > | statistics etc and I don't want to reinvent the wheel. *However* I am
    > | using someone elses server, so I would like to do it using python CGI.
    > |
    > | Is this :
    > | a) Possible with Quixote
    > | b) A sensible use of Quixote
    >
    > Quixote is *not* a server; the developers recommend Apache,
    > but basically it'll run with pretty much any kind of CGI,
    > FastCGI, SCGI etc. etc. and comes bundled with a couple of
    > sample servers based on Medusa and Twisted respectively.
    >
    > Quixote *is* a -- to me -- simple and logical way of mapping
    > URLs to Python modules, classes and functions. It's not dissimilar
    > to Zope, but *way* simpler to use and understand. It also includes
    > the idea of PTL which is a Python import hook which simplifies
    > pushing HTML out of Python functions. You can take the PTL or
    > leave it, if you prefer some other HTML-mechanism like Cheetah
    > or your homegrown stuff.

    Right - thanks for the helpful answer.
    I still seem my website as a bunch of HTML pages, but needing
    integrating with a few dynamic features.... rather than seeing the
    whole site as a single web-application. I think vanilla CGI may be
    more suited to some of what I want to do. But then I'm tempted to try
    and use Quixote in case it sparks my imagination - I'm not sure if
    it's the right way of delivering my *content* though.

    Regards,

    Fuzzy

    Michael Foord, Oct 7, 2004

  3. Michael Foord wrote:
    > Tim Golden <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>[Fuzzyman]
    >>| Quixote is a web-framework. Does it act as a server or can it act as a
    >>| frameowrk using the CGI protocol ?
    >>|
    >>| I would like to develop a website with user login, download manager,
    >>| statistics etc and I don't want to reinvent the wheel. *However* I am
    >>| using someone elses server, so I would like to do it using python CGI.
    >>|
    >>| Is this :
    >>| a) Possible with Quixote
    >>| b) A sensible use of Quixote
    >>
    >>Quixote is *not* a server; the developers recommend Apache,
    >>but basically it'll run with pretty much any kind of CGI,
    >>FastCGI, SCGI etc. etc. and comes bundled with a couple of
    >>sample servers based on Medusa and Twisted respectively.

    [...]

    <a-wee-bit-offtopic-plug>
    If you want a ready-to-use server (without having to set up
    your own web server).... you may find that Snakelets
    (http://snakelets.sourceforge.net) may very well suit your
    needs. Creating a dynamic site, and login-protected pages,
    is a snap.
    </a-wee-bit-offtopic-plug>

    > Right - thanks for the helpful answer.
    > I still seem my website as a bunch of HTML pages, but needing
    > integrating with a few dynamic features.... rather than seeing the
    > whole site as a single web-application.

    Hmm... if you want only a little part of the website to be
    dynamic, you can either:
    - just serve it as static content trough snakelets too
    - use snakelets behind Apache configured to proxy only some
    requests to snakelets. And serve the static stuff with Apache.

    Snakelets is not mature / production quality code (although
    it has been running on a low/medium-traffic site of mine for
    nearly a month now without interruption). If you want something
    more mainstream, you may ignore this message ;-)

    --Irmen

    Irmen de Jong, Oct 7, 2004
  4. > I think vanilla CGI may be
    > more suited to some of what I want to do. But then I'm tempted to try
    > and use Quixote in case it sparks my imagination - I'm not sure if
    > it's the right way of delivering my *content* though.

    BTW, you can also deliver static pages through Quixote, by using
    StaticDirectory class and passing directory name to the constructor. In
    the latest Quixote version there is even 'index_filenames' option, for
    specifying index file(s) in the directory.

    Ksenia.

    Ksenia Marasanova, Oct 8, 2004
  5. Ksenia Marasanova <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > I think vanilla CGI may be
    > > more suited to some of what I want to do. But then I'm tempted to try
    > > and use Quixote in case it sparks my imagination - I'm not sure if
    > > it's the right way of delivering my *content* though.
    > >

    > BTW, you can also deliver static pages through Quixote, by using
    > StaticDirectory class and passing directory name to the constructor. In
    > the latest Quixote version there is even 'index_filenames' option, for
    > specifying index file(s) in the directory.
    >
    > Ksenia.

    Thanks
    I think I am going to have a play with Quixote. I think I've finally
    got my head around what it can be useful for and there are definitely
    some parts of my site it will be helpful for. It still leaves the
    question of whether I'm able to install it on someone else's serevr
    without a shell account of course.....

    Fuzzy

    Michael Foord, Oct 8, 2004