Re: RAD tutorials and tools for GUI development with Python?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Michael Ekstrand, Mar 8, 2006.

  1. On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 04:51:17 -0600
    "Arthur Pemberton" <> wrote:
    > I would really like to code a few more widely useable apps, but
    > coding the GUI just seems so boring and unnecessarily complex. Maybe
    > I was spoilt by Borland's Delphi/Kylix. But is there any way to do as
    > little coding of the GUI as possible, and worry about the logic? The
    > best I've seen is using one tool with a modification to output python
    > code, which then has to be regenerated after any change to the GUI,
    > which to me, kinda defeats the "rapid" in RAD.
    >
    > Thanks, advice would be much apperciated. If it helps to know, I am
    > currently more interested in Python/Gtk (but not because I
    > particularly like the look of Gtk)

    Glade + PyGTK + libglade does the trick. libglade (exposed as gtk.glade
    in Python) allows you to load Glade interface files (the raw XML Glade
    saves your interfaces as) and then connect to various signals, access
    the widgets, etc.

    About as fast as anything I've found. Much slicker than VB (the only
    previous RAD experience I'd had that I could actually do anythin in).

    - Michael

    --
    mouse, n: a device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
    -- Fortune
    Michael Ekstrand, Mar 8, 2006

  2. Michael Ekstrand

    Jarek Zgoda Guest

    Michael Ekstrand napisa³(a):

    > Glade + PyGTK + libglade does the trick. libglade (exposed as gtk.glade
    > in Python) allows you to load Glade interface files (the raw XML Glade
    > saves your interfaces as) and then connect to various signals, access
    > the widgets, etc.
    >
    > About as fast as anything I've found. Much slicker than VB (the only
    > previous RAD experience I'd had that I could actually do anythin in).

    GTK on Windows looks worse than wx, but is easier to program. Anyway, it
    is not as easy as, say, Delphi.

    --
    Jarek Zgoda
    http://jpa.berlios.de/
    Jarek Zgoda, Mar 8, 2006

  3. Michael Ekstrand

    Ravi Teja Guest

    Jarek Zgoda wrote:
    > Michael Ekstrand napisa³(a):
    >
    > > Glade + PyGTK + libglade does the trick. libglade (exposed as gtk.glade
    > > in Python) allows you to load Glade interface files (the raw XML Glade
    > > saves your interfaces as) and then connect to various signals, access
    > > the widgets, etc.
    > >
    > > About as fast as anything I've found. Much slicker than VB (the only
    > > previous RAD experience I'd had that I could actually do anythin in).

    > GTK on Windows looks worse than wx, but is easier to program. Anyway, it
    > is not as easy as, say, Delphi.

    Indeed. The OP already indicates that he has experience with Delphi and
    is trying to apply to a domain that Delphi dominated (to those who knew
    it anyway) over a decade. The best solution then is not to do pure
    Python solution but to bring it in to supplement Delphi in areas that
    Delphi is not so good at.

    Python for Delphi is excellent.
    http://mmm-experts.com/Products.aspx?ProductId=3
    Ravi Teja, Mar 8, 2006
  4. Michael Ekstrand

    Ravi Teja Guest

    >> Interesting link, but the focus there seems to be encoperating Python into Delphi apps in Windows. My focus is more getting Delphi like GUI building, but coding python on Linux.

    According to the web site
    http://mmm-experts.com/VersionHistory.aspx?ProductId=3
    it supports Lazarus, which is a Delphi clone that runs on most
    platforms on Linux. I can vouch for Lazarus as a fine tool.
    I think I used WINE in the past successfully with Delphi apps with
    embedded Python on Linux.

    Delphi quality integrated GUI builders are not available to any dynamic
    language yet. But if you prefer a pure Python approach libglade and Qt
    Designer are the paths of least resistance for Linux currently.

    (I am adding this to the group. Let's keep the on-topic discussions
    here so that others may offer better suggestions)
    Ravi Teja, Mar 9, 2006