Re: Re: Algorithms using Python?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Evan Driscoll, Sep 21, 2012.

  1. On 09/21/2012 02:45 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 14:26:04 +0530, Mayuresh Kathe <>
    >
    >> Is there a good book on foundational as well as advanced algorithms
    >> using Python?
    >>

    > Depends on what you mean by "foundational"...
    >
    > Since Python has dynamic lists and dictionaries, I suspect you won't
    > find any textbook focusing on linked-list or hashed lookup algorithms
    > using Python.

    I wouldn't be so sure; C++ and Java both have standard libraries with
    dictionaries (and thus are mostly lacking a literal syntax). But it's
    easy to find books talking about the simple stuff.

    I'd suggest looking at the books used in MIT's intro classes:

    6.000 (Intro to CS and programming):

    http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electric...science-and-programming-spring-2011/Syllabus/

    Zelle, John M. Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science
    Budd, Timothy. Exploring Python
    Shaw, Zed A. Learn Python the Hard Way [online]
    Swaroop, CH. A Byte of Python

    6.006 (Intro to algorithms):

    http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electric...roduction-to-algorithms-spring-2008/syllabus/

    Miller and Ranum. Problem Solving with Algorithms and Data Structures
    Using Python.
    [CLRS isn't Python]

    and see if they have anything to offer. (I didn't actually look.)

    > You can probably implement them, but they're not going to be very
    > efficient. (And never "remove" an element from the linked-list
    > implementation because Python would shift all the other elements, hence
    > your "links" become invalid).

    Huh?

    Evan

    Evan Driscoll, Sep 21, 2012