RE: re-entrancy question

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Golden, Feb 8, 2005.

  1. Tim Golden

    Tim Golden Guest

    | Tim Golden <> wrote:
    | > No doubt there are more pertinent answers, but unless this is
    | > a learning exercise, you'd be better off investigating Pyro:
    | >
    | AFAIK pyro is just a RPC implementation for python whereas
    | Twisted is a
    | completely different beast that happens to have its own implementation
    | of RPC.
    | How would the OP be better investigating something different, that he
    | probably doesn't even need?
    | Your comment would be pertinent only if it considered
    | Perspective Broker
    | against pyro, and I admit I don't know how they compare.

    Here's the original post, quoted in its entirety:

    I have a program that instantiates some objects and runs a main loop.
    Before the main loop starts, I create a thread that listens to TCP
    connections on a port. If any connections are made, and depending on
    the data, I call methods on some of those objects.

    I am worried that calling methods on objects from outside the main loop,
    but that are also operated on in the main loop, could cause problems.

    My questions:
    1) is this safe?
    2) what kind of problems could occur?
    3) how do I safely handle this?

    Now *where* is there any mention of Twisted, either in the original
    post or in my reply? As I read it, the OP is doing something which
    creates local objects (instances, whatever) and has them available
    remotely. He's then -- justifiably -- concerned about possible
    re-entrancy if more than one outside agent makes a connection on
    his TCP port.

    It seemed to me that this was -- approximately -- what Pyro does:
    you created objects locally and listen on a TCP port for incoming
    requests. Since Pyro's author has already solved a number of the
    problems associated with doing this kind of thing, I thought it
    might be helpful to point this out.

    Tim Golden, Feb 8, 2005

  2. Tim Golden <> wrote:

    > Now *where* is there any mention of Twisted, either in the original
    > post or in my reply? As I read it, the OP is doing something which

    Ya sorry. I thought this was crossposted but the OP posted 2 different
    emails to both python-list and twisted-python ML. This very same message
    was posted on the twisted mailing list.

    The answer anyway was already given on the other list: there are no
    re-entrancy problems :).

    Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone
    Now Running MacOSX 10.3.7
    Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone, Feb 8, 2005