Re: Re: Managing multiple packages

Discussion in 'Python' started by Evan Driscoll, Nov 27, 2012.

  1. On 11/22/2012 06:22 PM, Thomas Bach wrote:
    > I am using virtual environments and do a
    >
    > python setup.py develop
    >
    > on each package. This just creates a symbolic link to the package and
    > all edits show up immediately.

    That's awesome; I didn't know about the 'develop' command. Thanks!

    Is that just a setuptools thing, or can you do it with distutils too? I
    didn't see anything too promising so I'm not so hopeful, but I figured
    I'd ask anyway. I'm also pretty confused about the
    distutils/setuptools/distribute/distutils2 landscape and what the
    differences are (at least between the first 3) and what their
    relationships with standard Python are.

    (I'd prefer to use distutils because (1) it ships with Python as opposed
    to being something extra to install (2) setuptools annoys me being the
    only think I can remember that, when you tell it to install to a prefix
    that doesn't exist, says "you want me to MAKE DIRECTORIES?! what are
    you, some kind of slave driver?!". Admittedly that second reason is not
    so rational and very occasionally putting up with that in exchange for
    development mode is plenty worth it, but being able to shun setuptools
    would make me feel good. :))

    Evan
    Evan Driscoll, Nov 27, 2012