    should there be two copyright lines in that file, one from Secret Labs,
    one my own?

    Malte
    Malte Forkel, Jun 9, 2013

  2. Malte Forkel

    Rick Johnson Guest

    On Sunday, June 9, 2013 8:21:43 AM UTC-5, Malte Forkel wrote:
    > I have asked the PSF for help regarding the implications of the license
    > status of code from sre_parse.py and the missing license statement in
    > sre.py. I'll happily report their answer to the list I they don't reply
    > in this thread.

    HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa (deep breath...)

    HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

    I can't say much with great certainty about the leadership of this community, but what i can say for sure is they are NOT going to waste one second of their so-called "precious" time responding to legitimate questions (like yours).

    The Secret Labs license is very explicit: "All rights reserved". That line means you can't touch it under pain of lawsuit.
    Rick Johnson, Jun 9, 2013

  3. On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 1:10 AM, Rick Johnson
    <> wrote:
    > On Sunday, June 9, 2013 8:21:43 AM UTC-5, Malte Forkel wrote:
    >> I have asked the PSF for help regarding the implications of the license
    >> status of code from sre_parse.py and the missing license statement in
    >> sre.py. I'll happily report their answer to the list I they don't reply
    >> in this thread.

    > HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa (deep breath...)
    >
    > HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa
    >
    > I can't say much with great certainty about the leadership of this community, but what i can say for sure is they are NOT going to waste one second of their so-called "precious" time responding to legitimate questions (like yours).
    >
    > The Secret Labs license is very explicit: "All rights reserved". That line means you can't touch it under pain of lawsuit.

    Fortunately for all of us, Rick is a troll and not a lawyer.

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Jun 9, 2013
  4. On Sun, 09 Jun 2013 08:10:13 -0700, Rick Johnson wrote:

    > The Secret Labs license is very explicit: "All rights reserved". That
    > line means you can't touch it under pain of lawsuit.

    It's also very explicit that the code can be redistributed.

    However, there is no explicit rights to modification granted.

    --
    Steven
    Steven D'Aprano, Jun 9, 2013
  5. Malte Forkel

    Mark Janssen Guest

    > The Secret Labs license is very explicit: "All rights reserved". That line means you can't touch it under pain of lawsuit.

    That's not true. It means whatever rights they do have, they are
    stating, in effect, that they have not given them away. But this is a
    difficult legal point, because by open sourcing their IP, they've
    already given away from of their rights.
    --
    MarkJ
    Tacoma, Washington
    Mark Janssen, Jun 9, 2013
  6. On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 1:39 AM, Mark Janssen <> wrote:
    >> The Secret Labs license is very explicit: "All rights reserved". That line means you can't touch it under pain of lawsuit.

    > That's not true. It means whatever rights they do have, they are
    > stating, in effect, that they have not given them away. But this is a
    > difficult legal point, because by open sourcing their IP, they've
    > already given away from of their rights.

    They start by reserving all rights. Then they say "And you may use
    this, on these conditions". This is the normal order of things.

    The words "All rights reserved" don't actually add anything, now. (I'm
    given to understand they used to have significance, at least in some
    jurisdictions, but not any more.) So just "Copyright <date> <your
    name>" is sufficient.

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Jun 9, 2013