Re: Re-using copyrighted code

Discussion in 'Python' started by Michael Torrie, Jun 9, 2013.

  1. On 06/09/2013 11:18 AM, Mark Janssen wrote:
    >> I understand that I have to pick a license for my package.

    > You actually do not. Attaching a legal document is purely a secondary
    > protection from those who would take away right already granted by US
    > copyright.

    You are correct, except that the OP has already stated he wishes to have
    his code distributed. Without granting a license, the code cannot be
    distributed beyond the people he personally gives the code too. PyPi
    cannot legally allow others to download it without a license.

    Here's how the GPL puts it, and of course this applies to any and all
    licenses, even proprietary ones:

    "However, nothing else [besides the License] grants you permission to
    modify or distribute the Program or its derivative works. These actions
    are prohibited by law if you do not accept this License. Therefore, by
    modifying or distributing the Program (or any work based on the
    Program), you indicate your acceptance of this License to do so, and all
    its terms and conditions for copying..."
    Michael Torrie, Jun 9, 2013