Re: Re: Writing Object Data to Disk

Discussion in 'Python' started by Amit Kumar Saha, Sep 22, 2007.

  1. > > From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand>
    > > In message <>,
    > > Amit Kumar
    > > Saha wrote:
    > >
    > > > I would like to know if "Pickling" the class object is the only

    > > way of
    > > > writing it to disk for persistent storage.

    > > Wouldn't it be better to use a language-independent data
    > > representation that
    > > wasn't tied to Python? Also tying your external data representation
    > > to your
    > > internal program structure (objects) makes it harder to change the
    > > program
    > > in future.

    Actually, language independence is really not a consideration here. I am
    happy at having it tied to Python :)

    BTW, do we have something like array of objects here?
    --
    Amit Kumar Saha
    me blogs@ http://amitksaha.blogspot.com
    Amit Kumar Saha, Sep 22, 2007

  2. In message <>, Amit Kumar
    Saha wrote:

    >> > From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand>

    >> > way of writing it to disk for persistent storage.
    >> >
    >> > Also tying your external data representation to your
    >> > internal program structure (objects) makes it harder to change the
    >> > program in future.

    > Actually, language independence is really not a consideration here. I am
    > happy at having it tied to Python :)

    Even so, ignoring the issue of future changes is folly.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 22, 2007

  3. Re: Writing Object Data to Disk

    On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:13:14 +0530, Amit Kumar Saha wrote:

    > BTW, do we have something like array of objects here?

    Like someone already said: lists.

    Ciao,
    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch
    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch, Sep 22, 2007
  4. Amit Kumar Saha

    Jim Langston Guest

    > In message <>, Amit
    > Kumar

    >> Actually, language independence is really not a consideration here. I am
    >> happy at having it tied to Python :)

    > Even so, ignoring the issue of future changes is folly.

    Can't Python tie into a DB such as MySQL?

    I'm a C++ programmer currently, but have programmed in many many languages,
    I only use Python to help someone work on an internet service and to modify
    some Python code for OpenRPG, so I'm not real familiar with all Python can
    actually do.
    Jim Langston, Sep 23, 2007