Re: Reading memory images into a VHDL testbench

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Mike Treseler, Apr 7, 2009.

  1. Jonathan Bromley wrote:

    > I've now done a reasonably complete implementation of
    > readmemb/readmemh in VHDL, and will make it available
    > after a bit more testing.

    Good work.
    Does that mean I can writememh from verilog
    and readmemh from vhdl, but not vice-versa?

    > However, it seems likely
    > that the ability to read .COE and .MIF would also be
    > handy (nice to use the same memory image files for
    > behavioural models and synthesis);

    That would be the top two, but I really shouldn't
    vote, since I am partial to vhdl constant arrays
    and letting synthesis make those files for me.

    > and perhaps
    > Intel HEX or S-record as well.

    Less important, but probably the next two.

    > Which of these do
    > folk think is most important? I don't have time
    > to do a thorough job on all of them. It's easy
    > and quick to do something that's *almost* right
    > but, like most things in life, doing it properly
    > costs real work.

    Just do one of them as an example.
    I'm sure you will clarify and virtualise the
    process with vhdl functions, so the others
    should be an trivial exercise ;)

    > Alternatively, has anyone stumbled across any
    > existing implementations of file-readers for those
    > formats in VHDL? I couldn't find anything after
    > a brief Google session.

    Nothing in vhdl.
    Just a perl parser example for the verilog format:
    http://search.cpan.org/~gsullivan/Verilog-Readmem-0.04/lib/Verilog/Readmem.pm

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Apr 7, 2009