Re: Reasons to not use Frames in website design

Discussion in 'HTML' started by (PeteCresswell), May 26, 2012.

  1. Per Alan_Smith:
    > The most powerful justifications against using...
    >• Frames keep people from social bookmarking your pages properly.
    >• Google and other search engines have trouble indexing frames.
    >• Frames damage scrolling.
    >• Frames often look bad.

    I'm no web designer - or programmer, just a clueless noob who
    cobbled together something for his high school class reunions. My
    "design tool" consists of NotePad with an occasional copy/paste
    from the HTML behind an MS Word doc.

    I went with frames because it was the only way I could figure out
    how to get a scrolling list of names/photos.

    Google seems to have indexed it - at least as far as WCHS59 and
    "West Chester High School 1959" go. The rest is moot for this
    application.

    Scrolling, I have only tried with three browsers. Scrolls fine
    on my instances of Chrome, FireFox, and IE - maybe it will clog
    up some other browser.

    Social bookmarking - also moot... although I would guess that in
    the context of FaceBook, this application is approaching
    obsolescence.

    There are probably dozens of things wrong with the app from the
    perspective of somebody who knows something... but I know nothing
    and it seems tb working for me and others - with the exception of
    the "Send us an e-mail" link on the FAQ. Now that I know about
    the issue, I really should do something to insulate it from 'bot
    address harvesters.

    Somebody else volunteered to take over maintenance and they
    changed the fonts from the more "Plain Vanilla" ones I chose.
    Other than that it's exactly as I wrote it: www.WCHS59.com

    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), May 26, 2012

  2. (PeteCresswell)

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:

    > Per Alan_Smith:
    > > The most powerful justifications against using...
    > >• Frames keep people from social bookmarking your pages properly.
    > >• Google and other search engines have trouble indexing frames.
    > >• Frames damage scrolling.
    > >• Frames often look bad.

    > I went with frames because it was the only way I could figure out
    > how to get a scrolling list of names/photos.

    > Scrolling, I have only tried with three browsers. Scrolls fine
    > on my instances of Chrome, FireFox, and IE - maybe it will clog
    > up some other browser.

    I have seen now and then people complain they want to be able to
    scroll the whole page that consist of frames but this is probably
    either an unreasonable thing to want or very hopeful and demanding.
    Frames themselves scroll fine. That is almost part of their charm,
    independent scrolling.

    I laughed at the apple of Frames looking bad! There are too many
    non-frame pages that look bad for this to be taken seriously. There is
    no compelling reason to do with frames for a framed page not to be
    nice looking.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, May 26, 2012