Re: Recommendations for Lightweight Threading?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Lew, Jun 15, 2012.

  1. Lew

    Lew Guest

    Aaron W. Hsu wrote:
    > I am considering moving one of my projects from C to Java, but I am
    > hoping to find a high-performance threading implementation, or something
    > along the lines of libqthread, which offers Fill-Empty bit blocking and
    > good cooperative lightweight threading as a library.
    >
    > Is there a current "best" solution when doing many threaded programs in
    > Java? By many threads I mean many more than the cores or machines on the
    > network. Something that scales up efficiently to distributed computing
    > would be nice as well.

    Yes.

    The Java standard API sports the 'java.util.concurrent' package (and related)
    <http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/util/concurrent/package-frame.html>

    Multi-threading is built into the very language. Even normal "synchronized"
    blocks perform well under many typical circumstances.

    I don't know what "Fill-Empty bit blocking" is, but if you give up looking for
    specific idioms and specify the strategic goals, you'll find what you need in
    Java.

    As to which combination of the API calls will be "best" for you, that depends
    entirely on your needs. Different parts are "best" for different use cases.

    So the question is, something that scales *what* up efficiently would be nice
    for you?

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Jun 15, 2012