Re: regarding I2C protocols

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by kryten_droid, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. kryten_droid

    kryten_droid Guest

    > An empty frame is expressly forbidden in the specs. However, the logic
    must
    > still not hang up if such a condition should happen.

    I feel it is a bit futile forbidding illegal events because sooner or later
    they will happen either through bugs or malfunction.

    Personally I would make my I2C slaves enter the idle state whenever they saw
    a stop condition (legal or not). Seems a fair and simple way of entering
    resetting slave state machines without sending any bytes, even if the spec
    forbids it.

    If it happens to be an illegal transition then the I2C spec does not oblige
    me to do anything in particular, so I can keep my I2C slave logic simple. If
    I had to implement things like roll-back after malformed messages, I might
    need large n-byte roll-back buffers.
    kryten_droid, Jun 24, 2003