Re: Regarding Python is scripting language or not

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jean-Michel Pichavant, Jun 17, 2009.

  1. abhishek goswami wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have very basic question about Python that do we consider pyhton as
    > script language.
    > I searched in google but it becomes more confusion for me. After some
    > analysis I came to know that Python support oops .
    >
    > Can anyone Guide me that Python is Oject oriented programming language
    > or Script language
    >
    > Abhishek Goswami
    > Chennai
    > Phone No -0996227099

    > ICC World Twenty20 England '09 exclusively on YAHOO! CRICKET
    > <http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_cricket_3/*http://cricket.yahoo.com>

    Depends on what you are calling a scripting language.
    Refering to wikipedia,
    "A *scripting language*, *script language* or *extension language* is a
    programming language <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_language>
    that allows some control of a single or many software application(s)
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_software>."

    Python is definitely OOP oriented and I don't think it fits in the
    script definition above.
    Python is interpreted and platform independent, but you can still build
    standalone platform dependent binaries if required.

    Regarding your last question, I'm not sure scripting and OOP language
    are not compatible, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find OOP scripting
    language.

    Jean-Michel

    Jean-Michel Pichavant, Jun 17, 2009

  2. Jean-Michel Pichavant

    Lie Ryan Guest

    Jean-Michel Pichavant wrote:
    > abhishek goswami wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I have very basic question about Python that do we consider pyhton as
    >> script language.
    >> I searched in google but it becomes more confusion for me. After some
    >> analysis I came to know that Python support oops .
    >>
    >> Can anyone Guide me that Python is Oject oriented programming language
    >> or Script language
    >>
    >> Abhishek Goswami
    >> Chennai
    >> Phone No -0996227099

    >> ICC World Twenty20 England '09 exclusively on YAHOO! CRICKET
    >> <http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_cricket_3/*http://cricket.yahoo.com>

    > Depends on what you are calling a scripting language.
    > Refering to wikipedia,
    > "A *scripting language*, *script language* or *extension language* is a
    > programming language <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_language>
    > that allows some control of a single or many software application(s)
    > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_software>."
    >
    > Python is definitely OOP oriented and I don't think it fits in the
    > script definition above.

    Python is multiparadigm. It is a mix of OOP language and functional
    language. It does not force you to use certain paradigm and allows you
    to mix paradigms in a single piece of code.

    Python is a programming language when referring to the stand-alone
    virtual machine.

    Python is a scripting language when used inside OpenOffice.org or
    Inkscape or GIMP or Blender or other software that uses python as
    scripting language. You may also argue that python is a scripting
    language for the OS.

    IMHO, whether a language is scripting language or programming language
    is independent of the language (Python, Java, Basic, C, etc) nor the
    implementation (CPython, Sun's JVM, VB, GCC, etc) of the language, but
    instead tied to the usage of the language (Stand-alone Python vs. python
    on OpenOffice/Blender/GIMP/Inkscape, Standalone Java vs. browser-based
    Java, VB vs. VBA/VBScript, etc).

    Lie Ryan, Jun 17, 2009

  3. Jean-Michel Pichavant

    Alan G Isaac Guest

    On 6/17/2009 8:38 AM Jean-Michel Pichavant apparently wrote:
    > I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find OOP scripting
    > language.

    <URL:http://www.amazon.com/Scripting-Objects-Comparative-Presentation-Object-Oriented/dp/047039725X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245276357&sr=1-1>

    fwiw,
    Alan Isaac

    Alan G Isaac, Jun 17, 2009
  4. Jean-Michel Pichavant

    Aaron Brady Guest

    On Jun 17, 7:38 am, Jean-Michel Pichavant <>
    wrote:
    > abhishek goswami wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I have very basic question about Python that do we consider pyhton as
    > > script language.
    > > I searched in google but it becomes more confusion for me. After some
    > > analysis I came to know that Python support oops .

    > > Can anyone Guide me that Python is Oject oriented programming language
    > > or Script language

    > > Abhishek Goswami
    > > Chennai
    > > Phone No -0996227099

    > > ICC World Twenty20 England '09 exclusively on YAHOO! CRICKET
    > > <http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_cricket_3/*http://cricket.yahoo.com>

    > Depends on what you are calling a scripting language.
    > Refering to wikipedia,
    > "A *scripting language*, *script language* or *extension language* is a
    > programming language <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_language>
    > that allows some control of a single or many software application(s)
    > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_software>."
    >
    > Python is definitely OOP oriented and I don't think it fits in the
    > script definition above.
    > Python is interpreted and platform independent, but you can still build
    > standalone platform dependent binaries if required.
    >
    > Regarding your last question, I'm not sure scripting and OOP language
    > are not compatible, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find OOP scripting
    > language.
    >
    > Jean-Michel

    I'm not the only one that thinks that Java is a joke, though I provoke
    flaming, and do not know it fluently. It's all big words and
    handcuffs.

    To quote my favorite t.v. show, 'You imply disparity where none
    exists.' You're trying to 'pigeon-hole', where the subjects are
    fairly complex, even though not ultimately continuous, but still not
    binary. You might as well be asking whether it's rainy or sunny out.
    Even day and night only account for 22-23 hours out of our day.

    Speaking of big words, programming languages vary in a number of
    dimensions. Regardless of what surface you use to divide the space,
    you'll have data points which aren't quite intuitively aligned with
    the rest of their category; not to shirk the burden of proof. The
    high complexity of Python blurs the partition. You might give it a
    center, and some membership density function that decreases with the
    distance from it, like the volume of a loudspeaker. I'm not sure
    whether you would define these from use data, or something more a
    priori. The former doesn't require as much contortion. Some have
    proposed the same tactic for culture division and nation borders,
    incidentally, as one 'compromization' tactic; that is, to 'fuzzily'
    classify regions, and languages likewise. It would make Python, say
    10% appropriate for scripting, and 90% object-oriented, just as 10% of
    'our' police comes from, and 10% of our taxes goes to Sweden.
    However, you've never heard of a 70% Catholic, and further, the
    logistics on that formulation don't align quite rightly: it would be
    more like, 'we' pay takes to Sweden at 10% of the tax rate at its
    capital and anywhere else that only Sweden influences. Some places of
    commerce even accept the kroner too. That still might not make you be
    70% Catholic, but definitely ten people definitely definitely can.

    Come to think of it, the percentages don't have to add up to 1, it's
    more like Python is 50% appropriate for scripting, and object-oriented
    in the high nineties. I guess I was just trying to be politically
    correct, impartial, or otherwise unbiased, though consequently rigid
    in the meantime. Sadly so.

    Linguists define distinctions between natural languages by measure of
    mutual interpretability. The two most similar languages out there may
    be practically the same; the two most different may not have even any
    syntax in common; and the one most different from the one closest to
    it may well be Python. Fancy that!

    In this participant's humble opinion, no. There are better scripting
    languages out there.

    In his arrogant opinion, no. It 'sets the curve'.

    Aaron Brady, Jun 18, 2009