    me to believe that ASP.NET's session handling is completely isolated from
    IIS Sessions. Is this true? Are there any documents that discuss this in
    detail?

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Aug 8, 2003

  2. Ken,

    I did some testing after I posted this message. I set my IE settings
    for cookies to Always Prompt (even session cookies) to see what was
    going on. I disabled sessions in IIS completely and then launched an
    ASP.NET application that uses sessions. It saved a cookie with ASP_NET
    in the name (or was it ASPNET - I don't remember exactly), but it was
    NOT IIS's session cookie name. Also, the ASP.NET application's
    sessions continued to work fine. This all came up because we noticed
    that upping IIS's session timeout had no effect on the ASP.NET
    application - but upping it in the web.config did work.

    Of course, when I turned IIS sessions back on, I didn't get any new
    cookies that were the usual IIS/ASP cookie, and I have no explanation
    for that.

    In any case, the conclusion I draw is that ASP.NET's session
    management is completely independent of IIS altogether - it sets its
    own cookies, uses its own storage mechanisms, etc. (I've read that you
    can restart IIS and not lose ASP.NET session data, but I haven't tried
    this.)

    I'd like to find this confirmed somewhere, though.

    Cheers,
    Luther

    Luther Miller, Aug 8, 2003