RE: RELEASED Python 2.3.4, release candidate 1

Discussion in 'Python' started by Hornberger, Chris, May 14, 2004.

  1. >
    >WINDOWS
    >... Windows users may also be
    >interested in Mark Hammond's win32all, a collection of
    >Windows-specific extensions including COM support and Pythonwin, an
    >IDE built using Windows components.

    PS... I have moral and ethical arguments against this. I believe it's just plain WRONG to use a language like Python or Java or even C#/.NET and RELY on platform specific "extensions".

    If it ain't cross platform, then it's VB.

    $.02/MHO
    Hornberger, Chris, May 14, 2004

  2. Hornberger, Chris

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Hornberger, Chris wrote:

    >>WINDOWS
    >>... Windows users may also be
    >>interested in Mark Hammond's win32all, a collection of
    >>Windows-specific extensions including COM support and Pythonwin, an
    >>IDE built using Windows components.

    > PS... I have moral and ethical arguments against this. I believe it's just plain WRONG to use a language like Python or Java or even C#/.NET and RELY on platform specific "extensions".
    >
    > If it ain't cross platform, then it's VB.

    Oh dear, I'm so sorry. I'll stop using Python immediately and
    switch to Visual BASIC for my work, which relies on interfacing
    with DLL files provided by third parties (using ctypes and
    calldll) and which therefore must run on Windows.

    I really apologize. I had *no idea* I was committing a moral
    and ethical mistake in using Python for this kind of work.

    I have sinned. I must commit supuku. So long, world.

    -Peter

    (Was the sarcasm a little too thick there? What a ludicrous
    statement to make...)

    P.S.: I see the followup to Thomas' response. It makes no
    difference. You are still saying I must not use Python for
    Windows-only work merely because it _can_ do cross-platform
    work. The logic there is real, real weak.
    Peter Hansen, May 14, 2004

  3. Hornberger, Chris

    Roger Binns Guest

    Hornberger, Chris wrote:
    > > WINDOWS
    > > ... Windows users may also be
    > > interested in Mark Hammond's win32all, a collection of
    > > Windows-specific extensions including COM support and Pythonwin, an
    > > IDE built using Windows components.
    > >

    > PS... I have moral and ethical arguments against this. I believe it's just plain WRONG to use a language like Python or Java or
    > even C#/.NET and RELY on platform specific "extensions".

    That may be the case for code you write. But your morals and ethics don't
    apply to code I write. And win32all isn't a mandatory download.

    You also ignore the fact that Python includes UNIX specific extensions.
    For example it includes the UNIX process creation stuff (fork, exec)
    and UNIX serial port stuff (ioctl, fcntl). On Windows, you have to get
    the equivalent from win32all. And if you happen to use a Mac, or an
    AS/400 then they need platform specific stuff as well.

    win32all also includes APIs to manage dial up connections. There is
    no equivalent API under UNIX. So should everyone ignore stuff that
    isn't the lowest common denominator?

    Roger
    Roger Binns, May 14, 2004
  4. Hornberger, Chris

    Brian Guest

    "Hornberger, Chris" <> wrote in message news:
    > PS... I have moral and ethical arguments against this. I believe it's
    > just plain WRONG to use a language like Python or Java or even C#/.NET
    > and RELY on platform specific "extensions".

    Nice troll. Let me guess, you haven't entered the job market yet?

    From elsewhere in the thread you spoke:
    > Now that we're all done being offended because I used terms that were

    taken out of context....

    I haven't found a non-foolish context for your comments yet. Perhaps
    you should take your drivel to an advocacy group?
    Brian, May 15, 2004