Re: Removing dead code and unused functions

Discussion in 'C++' started by Dan Henry, Jun 21, 2005.

  1. Dan Henry

    Dan Henry Guest

    Kevin Bagust <> wrote:

    >Geronimo W. Christ Esq wrote:
    >> Are there any scripts or tools out there that could look recursively
    >> through a group of C/C++ source files, and allow unreferenced function
    >> calls or values to be easily identified ?
    >>
    >> LXR is handy for indexing source code, and for a given function or
    >> global variable it can show you all the places where it is referenced.
    >> It would be really nice to have a tool that would simply list all of the
    >> referenced functions, so that you could go through and remove them.

    >PC-Lint will list unused functions, variables and headers. A free Lint
    >my do the same but I do not know if that is the case.

    My input regarding "A free Lint"...

    I have grown accustomed to my PC-Lint doing this and when a client
    hesitated to purchase PC-Lint at my recommendation, I tried Splint --
    a freebie. FWIW, as of my attempt ~1 year ago, it would not announce
    unreferenced functions. My client purchased a LAN license for PC-Lint
    and everyone is now happy.

    Gimpel's FlexeLint presumably has the same features.

    --
    Dan Henry

    Dan Henry, Jun 21, 2005