Re: Replacement for CGI.pm

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Rainer Weikusat, Oct 22, 2013.

  1. Bernie Cosell <> writes:
    > CGI.pm is very old and I gather that its use is deprecated. Is there a
    > better/newer package for handling the CGI interface between Perl and the
    > web server? We use it both ways: to parse the incoming variables [and
    > cookies] and to generate the outgoing HTML. Our needs are pretty simple:
    > just those two functions. It seems to work, and we really haven't had any
    > trouble, but see more and more reports that one should *never* use
    > CGI.pm...

    As of now (perl 5.18.0), CGI.pm has neither been removed from the perl
    core nor is listed in the 'future deprecations' section. AFAICT, there's
    a bunch of marketing clowns^W^Wweb devsloppers who strongly market their
    opinion that it ought to be removed - with the fact that "Oh my fancy
    darling!" uselessnesses a la Mo "my antlers are bigger than yours!" ose
    being all but unusuable in CGI programs certainly being a mere
    coincidence - but so far, that's it.

    I'm using it, not because it is anything in particular, just because it
    is available and works (within its limits). If you want something
    specific (eg, HTML-generation via templates), I suggest that you look
    for a module providing what you want to have. For as long as CGI.pm does
    what you need, there's seems to be little reason to stop using it:
    Customers generally don't care about what developers consider
    fashionable today.
    Rainer Weikusat, Oct 22, 2013