Re: Representation of real numbers

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Jeremy Pyle, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Jeremy Pyle

    Jeremy Pyle Guest

    As an add-on to this quetsion, are real numbers always synthesizable or only
    certain architectures?

    "Jeremy Pyle" <> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I'm trying to find out how I would get a hold of the representation of a
    > real number. I know it's represented at a sign bit, exponent, mantissa,

    but
    > I'm trying to store this real number in RAM, meaning I have to pass it in

    as
    > a STD_LOGIC_VECTOR, so somehow I need to convert a real to a
    > STD_LOGIC_VECTOR. Is there any way to do this?
    >
    > Also, I have to divide the real numbers so I'm trying to figure out the

    best

    Jeremy Pyle, Jun 27, 2003

  2. Jeremy Pyle

    Ken Smith Guest

    In article <0VMKa.34026$>,
    Jeremy Pyle <> wrote:
    >As an add-on to this quetsion, are real numbers always synthesizable or only
    >certain architectures?

    Real ALUs take up a lot of space. If you are trying to do an add in one
    stroke, you have to have a normalizing array and an adder. This is a lot
    of logic so some tools won't even try unless you are designing for a
    really big chip.

    forging knowledge
    Ken Smith, Jun 27, 2003