Re: Rollover Help Needed :-)

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Adrienne Boswell, Jan 25, 2009.

  1. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Michael Roback
    <> writing in news:roback-4CF313.21253324012009
    @earthlink.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net:

    > I am a newbie to figuring out how to create graphics, images, buttons

    on
    > a blog and get them to link to files, other sites/blogs etc. I went to

    > site called Glassy Buttons and created some cool buttons that rollover
    > on the site, and downloaded the buttons. What I get is a file with

    JPEG
    > GIF and PNG files, both of the button and button that is displayed

    when
    > a cursor hovers over it or clicks on it. I am totally lost in terms of
    > how to set up the two images in code to get them to rollover to each
    > other on my blog. Can anyone help me? I do not know where to add the
    > appropriate code- inthe body of the blog code or in the html gadget

    that
    > pertains to the button in question! I would really like to do this!

    Also
    > is it easier to use CSS or Java Script? I have read that Java Script

    may
    > not work right on some browsers or versions of those browsers. If you
    > wish to visit the site that I am referring to, it is
    > http://www.glassybuttons.com/buttonmill/glassy.php

    There are issues with graphic buttons.
    #1 - for users without images, they will not see the button, but if you
    have hopefully added alt text, they will have that.
    #2 - if you do not put text on the images, and use the image as a
    background for the text only, then they will still get the text, but no
    image. Of course, users may also increase the font size, and the text
    may come out of its containing image.
    #3 - image rollovers with javascript are a PITA - better to use CSS's
    hover property.

    My suggestion is to Google for CSS buttons.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Jan 25, 2009