Re: round two: XML vs DBMS

Discussion in 'XML' started by Isofarro, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. Isofarro

    Isofarro Guest

    Aarron wrote:

    > Am I correct in assuming that you ideally want to use a database and XML
    > together? Store the data in your database, and extract the information
    > to an XML file to make it easy to publish on a website.

    XML is a way of exchanging information between systems.

    > I guess the question is: Why would I want to write a script to extract
    > an XML file when I could just as easily write a script to publish the
    > information directly to the internet?

    When you publish in XML (like RSS for example) you are publishing to the
    Internet. As long as the recipient of the information can digest and use
    the information it matters very little what the format is. HTML is common
    for websites, RSS is common for content syndication.

    --
    Iso.
    Web Standards: http://www.webstandards.org/

    Isofarro, Jul 21, 2003