Re: round two: XML vs DBMS

Discussion in 'XML' started by Rajya Sabha, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. Rajya Sabha

    Rajya Sabha Guest

    Aarron wrote:
    > Earlier I posted the HTML vs XHTML thread ... now its time for round two :)
    >
    > Im hoping someone can help me clarify the roles XML and a DBMS would
    > have in a website. I may have answered my own question in trying to
    > think of a way to word this message, but Ill throw it all out anyway.
    >
    > Am I correct in assuming that you ideally want to use a database and XML
    > together? Store the data in your database, and extract the information
    > to an XML file to make it easy to publish on a website.

    no. if you don't have specific reasons for introducing XML its just another
    layer you've got to deal with.

    > I guess the question is: Why would I want to write a script to extract
    > an XML file when I could just as easily write a script to publish the
    > information directly to the internet?

    you wouldn't. PHP/MySQL or whatever combination you are familiar with will do
    as well. Again: there are good reasons for introducing or utiliting XML, but
    these rarely are related with web-design.

    > I just learnt XML yesterday, so Im trying to rethink my thoughts on web
    > site design. Things arn't adding up yet :)

    r.
    Rajya Sabha, Jul 21, 2003