Re: round two: XML vs DBMS

Discussion in 'XML' started by Christopher Browne, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. Aarron <> writes:

    > Earlier I posted the HTML vs XHTML thread ... now its time for round two :)
    >
    > Im hoping someone can help me clarify the roles XML and a DBMS would
    > have in a website. I may have answered my own question in trying to
    > think of a way to word this message, but Ill throw it all out anyway.
    >
    > Am I correct in assuming that you ideally want to use a database and
    > XML together? Store the data in your database, and extract the
    > information to an XML file to make it easy to publish on a website.
    >
    > I guess the question is: Why would I want to write a script to extract
    > an XML file when I could just as easily write a script to publish the
    > information directly to the internet?

    Good question.

    If your script can directly access the database, then it would be much
    simpler to not bother having a "middleman" that has to translate into
    XML and then from XML to HTML.

    The merit to using XML is if that "translation phase" needs to exist;
    if your application _shouldn't_ actually access the DBMS.
    --
    If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/sgml.html
    Christopher Browne, Jul 21, 2003