Re: rt.jar description

Discussion in 'Java' started by Jacob, Jul 7, 2003.

  1. Jacob

    Jacob Guest

    F M wrote:
    > Well the savings aren't as drastic as I thought since it looks like rt.jar
    > is not compressed by sun. Using jar with no compression, the rt.jar I made
    > is now about 19 megs (versus 9 megs with compression on). So I was able to
    > only take out about 6 uncompressed megs. When compressed, the 19 meg rt.jar
    > makes the JRE about 13 megs. So it is saving 2 megs by leaving the rt.jar
    > uncompressed when zipping the JRE.

    Do you realise that you are talking to yourself?

    Do some more research before you post in order
    to reduce the noise level.

    F M, Jul 7, 2003

  3. Jacob

    F M Guest

    > Do you realise that you are talking to yourself?

    If you read my post then technically no, I'm not talking to myself.

    > Do some more research before you post in order
    > to reduce the noise level.

    Are you the usenet noise monitor?

    I thought I would post the finding that if you have a JAR file that is going
    to be zipped when distributed, it is better to run the jar.exe with no
    compression option, as the resulting zip will be smaller. You seem to think
    this is widely known, maybe it is, but it's the first time I've run across
    it in about 5 years of Java programming (or maybe it isn't, but I didn't
    remember it).

    But by all means please feel free to ignore any threads started by "FM".

    FM
    F M, Jul 7, 2003
  4. Jacob

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 17:51:43 +0200, Jacob <> wrote or
    quoted :

    >Do you realise that you are talking to yourself?
    >
    >Do some more research before you post in order
    >to reduce the noise level.

    For God sake. His other option is not to share his findings on further
    research.

    That is not noise. Ads are noise. Questions on how to convert int to
    String are noise.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jul 7, 2003