Re: rt.jar description

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 09:09:25 -0600, "F M"
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >Does anyone know of a website or document that gives a thorough description
    >of all the packages in rt.jar? I'm trying to figure out what can be safely
    >deleted to make my program download smaller (it has a bundled JRE).

    Your licence agreement forbids you from doing that. Though there is a
    list somewhere of the optional packages you are allowed to prune. I
    have seen reference to the list, but not the list itself.

    Another way out of this is to use JET and SWT, so that only the
    classes you use are bundled in compiled form. See
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jet.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jul 7, 2003

  2. Roedy Green

    F M Guest

    > Your licence agreement forbids you from doing that. Though there is a
    > list somewhere of the optional packages you are allowed to prune. I
    > have seen reference to the list, but not the list itself.

    Yeah, reading the license it seems that anything not mentioned as allowable
    to delete must remain "as-is". I think that's a shame since the rt.jar has
    stuff in it that it probably shouldn't (corba for instance- I wonder what
    percentage of programs use corba). I can understand this mindset if the
    idea is "one JRE on the system", but I think there are a lot of people
    distributing runtimes with their apps in order to be sure that they work as
    intended.

    > Another way out of this is to use JET and SWT, so that only the
    > classes you use are bundled in compiled form. See
    > http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jet.html

    I think I was using JET but I got a NullPointerException when trying to
    start my program. I probably wasn't setting something correctly... I'll
    have a look at SWT too

    F M, Jul 7, 2003