Re: Running code from source that includes extension modules

Discussion in 'Python' started by Stefan Behnel, Oct 2, 2013.

  1. Michael Schwarz, 02.10.2013 17:38:
    > I've just started looking into distutils because I need to write an
    > extension module in C (for performance reasons) and distutils seems to be
    > the most straight-forward way.
    >
    > I've had success building a C file into a Python extension module using
    > "python setup.py build" but I am wondering what the recommended way for
    > using that module during development is. While writing Python code I'm used
    > to just run the code from the source directory. But the built extension
    > module's .so of course does not just end up on sys.path magically.
    >
    > So how do I run my code so it will find the built extension module? Do I
    > pass the output directory on the command line manually or is there some
    > other solution? I would like to still be able to run the code from the
    > source directory as I'm using PyCharm to edit and debug the code.

    You can run

    python setup.py build_ext -i

    That will build your extension module and install it right into your
    package structure.

    BTW, if you use Cython instead of plain C, you can use pyximport to get
    on-the-fly extension module builds during development.

    Stefan

    Stefan Behnel, Oct 2, 2013