Re: Running Python 2.3 on a Windows 2000 network

Discussion in 'Python' started by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. John Ochiltree wrote:
    > Hello group,
    >
    > What do I have to do to set up python 2.3 to run centrally on a Win 2000
    > network instead of installing it on every workstation?

    Well, if you have a Windows network, you need scripted installs :p
    Otherwise administering a Windows network is too much of a PITA in my
    opinion.

    > Is it possible?

    Sure. Get an installed Python, copy the c:\python23 directory to a
    network share, then grab the file %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\python23.dll and
    copy it alongside python.exe. Now all your clients can access Python via
    the share name.

    > How do I go about updating individual registeries? I'd appreciate some
    > pointers and advice if any one can help.

    Python itself doesn't need any registry entries. If you use the COM
    stuff of the win32 extensions, though, this might be different.

    -- Gerhard

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=, Aug 12, 2003

  2. Gerhard Häring wrote:
    > John Ochiltree wrote:
    >
    >> Hello group,
    >>
    >> What do I have to do to set up python 2.3 to run centrally on a Win
    >> 2000 network instead of installing it on every workstation?

    > Well, if you have a Windows network, you need scripted installs :p
    > Otherwise administering a Windows network is too much of a PITA in my
    > opinion.
    >
    >> Is it possible?

    > Sure. Get an installed Python, copy the c:\python23 directory to a
    > network share, then grab the file %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\python23.dll and
    > copy it alongside python.exe. Now all your clients can access Python via
    > the share name.
    >
    >> How do I go about updating individual registeries? I'd appreciate some
    >> pointers and advice if any one can help.

    > Python itself doesn't need any registry entries. If you use the COM
    > stuff of the win32 extensions, though, this might be different.
    >
    > -- Gerhard

    Cheers Gerhard,
    Worked like a dream. I now have a shared python shell

    John

    John Ochiltree, Aug 13, 2003

  3. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=

    Peter Hansen Guest

    John Ochiltree wrote:

    > Worked like a dream. I now have a shared python shell

    Can you check whether "import pythoncom" and "import pywintypes"
    and (if you've installed the Win32 extensions) "import win32api"
    all work?

    If these work without your having to do anything to the registry,
    I'm curious about the installation process you used, since we
    had to do additional steps to get the same result.

    Thanks.

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Aug 13, 2003
  4. Peter Hansen wrote:
    > John Ochiltree wrote:
    >
    >>Worked like a dream. I now have a shared python shell

    > Can you check whether "import pythoncom" and "import pywintypes"
    > and (if you've installed the Win32 extensions) "import win32api"
    > all work?
    >
    > If these work without your having to do anything to the registry,
    > I'm curious about the installation process you used, since we
    > had to do additional steps to get the same result.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > -Peter

    I'll have a go tomorrow but initially I only require the shell and don't
    need COM or WIN32.

    John

    John Ochiltree, Aug 14, 2003