Re: S2K DTS and Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Golden, Jul 10, 2007.

  1. Tim Golden

    Tim Golden Guest

    Phil Runciman wrote:
    > I am a Python newbie so please be gentle on me.

    Welcome to Python.

    > I have created a program that takes text files within a directory and it
    > successfully parses the information from them to create 3 CSV files.

    Good so far.

    > However, I now want to update some tables in MSAccess, and it occurred
    > to me that because Sequel Server 2000 DTS can interface with scripting
    > languages that maybe I could call my first Python program from within
    > DTS and then update the tables using DTS. (I am learning DTS hence the
    > idea).

    Unless you *really* wanted to learn DTS (and I don't find it
    that useful myself) then simply do this through Python... and
    have some fun at the same time :)

    > My questions are:
    >
    > Has anyone used Python within DTS?

    Haven't, but I wouldn't even try. Unless I were constrained
    by some kind of contractual binding, I wouldn't even *start*
    using DTS if I could use Python. I find it far too opaque.

    > Am I off the wall trying such a thing?

    No, but I think it's easier to use the csv module, pyodbc [1]
    and either code the SQL directly, which is what I tend to do, or
    use one of the several SQL-ORM-style wrappers around: SQLObject[2],
    sqlalchemy[3] and its friend Elixir[4], or the newly-advertised
    Storm[5] from Canonical.

    Feel free to post back with questions or progress.

    TJG

    [1] http://pyodbc.sf.net
    [2] http://www.sqlobject.org/
    [3] http://sqlalchemy.org
    [4] http://elixir.ematia.de/
    [5] https://storm.canonical.com/
    Tim Golden, Jul 10, 2007

  2. Tim Golden

    stefaan Guest

    > > However, I now want to update some tables in MSAccess, and it occurred
    > > to me that because Sequel Server 2000 DTS can interface with scripting
    > > languages that maybe I could call my first Python program from within
    > > DTS and then update the tables using DTS. (I am learning DTS hence the
    > > idea).

    I have never heard about DTS, so I cannot advise you on that.
    But since you mentioned MsAccess, I want to mention that I have
    successfully used the DejaVu object relational mapper[1] to access
    MsAccess
    databases. Other ORMs like SqlObject and SqlAlchemy - to the best of
    my knowledge -
    do not support MsAccess out of the box (yet?).

    [1] http://projects.amor.org/docs/dejavu/1.5.0RC1/
    stefaan, Jul 10, 2007

  3. -----Original Message-----
    > > However, I now want to update some tables in MSAccess, and it

    occurred
    > > to me that because Sequel Server 2000 DTS can interface with

    scripting
    > > languages that maybe I could call my first Python program from

    within
    > > DTS and then update the tables using DTS. (I am learning DTS hence

    the
    > > idea).

    I have never heard about DTS, so I cannot advise you on that.
    But since you mentioned MsAccess, I want to mention that I have
    successfully used the DejaVu object relational mapper[1] to access
    MsAccess
    databases. Other ORMs like SqlObject and SqlAlchemy - to the best of
    my knowledge -
    do not support MsAccess out of the box (yet?).

    [1] http://projects.amor.org/docs/dejavu/1.5.0RC1/

    Thanks for your reply Stefaan. I will file away that information. It
    looks useful.
    Phil Runciman, Jul 11, 2007
  4. -----Original Message-----
    > > However, I now want to update some tables in MSAccess, and it

    occurred
    > > to me that because Sequel Server 2000 DTS can interface with

    scripting
    > > languages that maybe I could call my first Python program from

    within
    > > DTS and then update the tables using DTS. (I am learning DTS hence

    the
    > > idea).

    I have never heard about DTS, so I cannot advise you on that.
    But since you mentioned MsAccess, I want to mention that I have
    successfully used the DejaVu object relational mapper[1] to access
    MsAccess
    databases. Other ORMs like SqlObject and SqlAlchemy - to the best of
    my knowledge -
    do not support MsAccess out of the box (yet?).

    [1] http://projects.amor.org/docs/dejavu/1.5.0RC1/

    Thanks Stefaan, I will remember DejaVu. It will be useful as I am in an
    MS shop.
    Phil Runciman, Jul 12, 2007