Re: samba 4 release

Discussion in 'Python' started by Michael Torrie, Dec 13, 2012.

  1. On 12/12/2012 04:40 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
    > Awesome!!! But what the **** is it???

    Are you serious? You honestly don't know what one of the oldest, most
    widely used piece of open source software it and what it does? Samba is
    at least as well-known and important as Apache, if not more so.

    You can be forgiven if you don't know what a DC is... That's a "Domain
    Controller" and it forms the central core of an MS Active Directory
    setup (users/group info, authentication, user/group policies, client
    machine policies.

    Now if we could just get an Exchange replacement that actually doesn't
    suck...
    Michael Torrie, Dec 13, 2012

  2. On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 17:18:43 -0700, Michael Torrie wrote:

    > Now if we could just get an Exchange replacement that actually doesn't
    > suck...

    But but but... if it didn't contain sufficient levels of suckage, it
    would hardly be a replacement for Exchange, would it?!?!?

    :p

    --
    Steven
    Steven D'Aprano, Dec 13, 2012

  3. Michael Torrie

    rusi Guest

    On Dec 13, 5:18 am, Michael Torrie <> wrote:
    > On 12/12/2012 04:40 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
    >
    > > Awesome!!!  But what the **** is it???

    > Are you serious?  You honestly don't know what one of the oldest, most
    > widely used piece of open source software it and what it does?  Samba is
    > at least as well-known and important as Apache, if not more so.

    For me, more important than apache is the set
    1. Linux
    2. Perl (followed by python)
    3. Samba
    4. Wine

    Linux showed that Unix can run on PCs -- seriously. Yeah the
    professors writing Minix also did that but Linux stopped being a toy.
    Of course Linus was lucky that he was hacking when the 386 came out.

    Perl, which was the first to show that a realistic language could be
    made whose programs run unchanged on Unix and Dos. [Yeah we
    pythonistas take it for granted today. It was incredible 15 years ago]

    Samba took Perl's 'polite interoperability' to a new level:
    'aggressive cooperation.'
    'You may not want to talk to me but I will talk to you anyhow'

    What Samba does on the server, wine does on the desktop... Not quite
    so successful but getting there

    rusi, Dec 13, 2012