Re: Saving Word Document and Retrieving

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Lauchlan M, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. Lauchlan M

    Lauchlan M Guest

    > Is it possible to save the word document directly in SQL instead of
    creating
    > the word document and upload it.

    > For example, if i want to type a note for this record, just , i open a

    word
    > editor from my application, and enter the information in format,then i
    > click save in my word editor(document), it will be saved in sql server

    BLOB
    > field directly for that selected record.

    Well, for a .NET windows application, yes. You need to use a rich text
    editor, which sotres it as an .rtf document (which canbe opened in Word).
    But in ASP.NET basically you want a version of Word that can be embedded in
    a browser and run happily on Windows, Linux, the Apple Mac, Solaris, etc.
    It is more difficult and I think probably unlikely you can do this easily
    (although all things are possible).

    I think you are better off using another format (eg HTML instead of Word
    ..doc documents) for which there are editors readily available that you can
    plug into a browser, or else not making it a browser application (use a
    windows .net client talking to a server using an n-tier architecture).

    HTH

    Lauchlan M
    Lauchlan M, Oct 15, 2003