Re: scanners + software + Math data and symbols ...

Discussion in 'XML' started by Peter Flynn, Sep 8, 2011.

  1. Peter Flynn

    Peter Flynn Guest

    On 07/09/11 23:59, lbrt chx _ gemale wrote:
    > scanners + software + Math data and symbols
    > ~
    > Say, you have documents containing tables of data, algebraic equations, graph functions and such mathematical devices. Which scanner would you suggest and/or which method of converting such to, say, LaTeX or MathML?
    > ~
    > Is the data represented in the table saved a CSV file so that Excel and any other application could import/render it?

    No. Normally the output is a plaintext file. You have to add markup or
    formatting manually.

    Some more sophisticated OCR software may be able to guess some markup,
    but IMHE it's usually wrong.

    > I could imagine most scanners would identify and just save the picture representing a graph and link to it, but does/can it get better than that?

    No, you just get the image.

    > Could the formulas be translated to, say, LaTeX or MathML?

    This is unfeasibly difficult to do reliably, and I have never seen
    anything that does it. As Joe says, there are some applications which
    claim to do this, but I have never tried them.

    > Do you know of any OCR application for Math symbols?

    No.

    ///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/