Re: Schildt's Advanced Windows 95 Programming in C and C++

Discussion in 'C++' started by Thomas Matthews, Aug 26, 2003.

  1. Agent Mulder wrote:
    > Hi group,
    > I am looking for the examples of the book
    > Schildt; Advanced Windows 95 Programming in C and C++, 1996
    >
    > It's on topic (note the ++)
    >
    > -X

    Actually, Schildt is not on topic.
    Check out the reviews of his book:
    http://www.google.com/groups?as_q=Schildt&safe=images
    &ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&as_ugroup=comp.lang.c%2C%20
    comp.lang.c%2b%2b%2C%20comp.lang.c%2b%2b.moderated
    &lr=&num=50&hl=en
    {the above 4 lines should be one continuous line)

    You probably were mistaking him for:
    Programming Windows 95 by Charles Petzold
    The C++ Programming Language by Stroustrup
    Effective C++ by Scott Meyers
    More Effective C++ by Scott Meyers

    --
    Thomas Matthews

    C++ newsgroup welcome message:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
    Other sites:
    Thomas Matthews, Aug 26, 2003

  2. Thomas Matthews

    Greg P. Guest

    "Agent Mulder" <> wrote in message
    | Wow, does Schildt get negative reviews! Actually in the book

    You would be surprised of how many C++ children he has taught wrong. The
    reason why he gets such bad reviews is due to the fact that he makes
    everything look so easy (without explaining the dangers of doing things, or
    why things are done). As the saying goes "You can't teach an old dog new
    tricks", once someone has learned C or C++ by his books, they have usually
    been permanently branded by his bad habits. It takes about twice as long as
    it took you to learn the language to unlearn his text and relearn from a
    better, more approved author.

    The same thing happened to me with x86 assembly: I learned from an expensive
    book which I thought to be a good first step (I do not want to mention the
    name in fear of people actually liking this book). It tainted my skills in
    asm and I had to relearn via better methods.

    | I have there is not much ++ in the C, but he is the only one so
    | far that shows how to implement dynamic menus in Windows
    | with varying numbers of items. I'll wrap up the stuff in classes
    | myself.

    Well there really isn't that much "++" in win32 programming regardless. The
    win32 native SDK is written in C. The only time when C++ becomes involved is
    if you mix it with your code or use MFC (or other related class-based
    wrappers).

    | You know that it is very cool to inherit from Windows
    | structs like WNDCLASSEX, MENUITEMINFO etc,
    | fill the members in an initializer list and then you can kick
    | around your Window programs with the greatest ease
    | (not in Schildt's book).

    Yes win32 programming is fun once you fully comprehend it. Though, windows
    programming is off topic here as this is the standard C++ newsgroup (which
    has nothing to do with Win32, Linux, UNIX, OS/2, Commodore (=P), Atari,
    Gameboy, or my faithful PDA...unless of course you are singularly
    programming witht the standard library for them.

    | I googled for the examples but didn't find them. In the
    | preface of the book he offers to send me a floppy with
    | the examples for 24.95 dollar. Wonder how much that is
    | in euro's ;-)

    Are you referring to Schildt or Petzold? Any chivalrous author will supply
    you with the code (errata, etc) for free at a website or on CD-ROM. That
    doesn't say much for the author for your book =(

    Good luck in win32 land...but please post these topics to:
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
    Greg P., Aug 27, 2003

  3. Thomas Matthews

    Attila Feher Guest

    Greg P. wrote:
    > "Agent Mulder" <> wrote in message
    >> Wow, does Schildt get negative reviews! Actually in the book

    > You would be surprised of how many C++ children he has taught wrong.
    > The reason why he gets such bad reviews is due to the fact that he
    > makes everything look so easy (without explaining the dangers of
    > doing things, or why things are done). As the saying goes "You can't
    > teach an old dog new tricks", once someone has learned C or C++ by
    > his books, they have usually been permanently branded by his bad
    > habits. It takes about twice as long as it took you to learn the
    > language to unlearn his text and relearn from a better, more approved
    > author.

    [SNIP]

    I can double that. It took over 2 years(!) to get people to omit at least
    the most dangerous mistakes they have learnt from the (bull)Schildt C++ book
    the (in)complete C++ manual.

    --
    Attila aka WW
    Attila Feher, Aug 27, 2003
  4. Thomas Matthews

    Bob Jacobs Guest

    "Attila Feher" <> wrote in message
    > Greg P. wrote:
    > > "Agent Mulder" <> wrote in message
    > >> Wow, does Schildt get negative reviews! Actually in the book

    > > You would be surprised of how many C++ children he has taught wrong.
    > > The reason why he gets such bad reviews is due to the fact that he
    > > makes everything look so easy (without explaining the dangers of
    > > doing things, or why things are done). As the saying goes "You can't
    > > teach an old dog new tricks", once someone has learned C or C++ by
    > > his books, they have usually been permanently branded by his bad
    > > habits. It takes about twice as long as it took you to learn the
    > > language to unlearn his text and relearn from a better, more approved
    > > author.

    > [SNIP]
    >
    > I can double that. It took over 2 years(!) to get people to omit at least
    > the most dangerous mistakes they have learnt from the (bull)Schildt C++
    > book the (in)complete C++ manual.

    Which mistakes were those? And how come it took you so long?
    Bob Jacobs, Aug 27, 2003
  5. Thomas Matthews

    Agent Mulder Guest

    AM> does Schildt get negative reviews!

    <Greg P>
    You would be surprised of how many C++ children he has taught wrong. The
    reason why he gets such bad reviews is due to the fact that he makes
    everything look so easy (without explaining the dangers of doing things, or
    why things are done). As the saying goes "You can't teach an old dog new
    tricks", once someone has learned C or C++ by his books, they have usually
    been permanently branded by his bad habits. It takes about twice as long as
    it took you to learn the language to unlearn his text and relearn from a
    better, more approved author.
    <Greg P>

    For programmers with a one-charge BIOS in
    their heads, reading the wrong text is fatal, but
    I always look for the better way, so an example
    of something done wrong is equally valuable.

    This book is good, though. He is elaborate on
    Windows internals and takes of where Petzold
    left. If you like the style of coding in Petzold's
    "Programming Windows 95", (1996), than you'll
    like his style, too.

    OK, the only use of C++ in the book is on the
    cover. Then he insists that I rip out a page of
    the book and send it to Illinois, with 29.95 dollar
    enclosed. And he makes me read

    "When you need solid answers, fast, turn to
    HERBERT SCHILDT, the recognized
    authority on programming."

    -X
    Agent Mulder, Aug 27, 2003