Re: Season's Greetings

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Mike Treseler, Dec 15, 2009.

  1. Jonathan Bromley wrote:
    > Having spent far too much of this year worrying about
    > SystemVerilog I decided to take a break not only from
    > That Other Language but also from digital design.

    Thank for the break.

    Much more interesting than the code I was slogging through.
    And a nice demo of of how to build a readable process.
    I put trimR in my stocking, than you very much.

    For those without a simulator, I pasted the text out below.

    Happy Holidays.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Spoiler alert. Close now, if you want to sim it.

    -- # vsim -c noel

    -- VSIM 1> run

    -- # =====================================================
    -- #
    -- # On the 1st day of Christmas my true love sent to me:
    -- # a partridge in a pear tree.
    -- #
    -- # On the 2nd day of Christmas my true love sent to me:
    -- # two turtle doves,
    -- # and a partridge in a pear tree.
    -- #
    -- # On the 3rd day of Christmas my true love sent to me:
    -- # three French hens,
    -- # two turtle doves,
    -- # and a partridge in a pear tree.
    -- #
    -- # On the 4th day of Christmas my true love sent to me:
    -- # four colley birds,
    -- # three French hens,
    -- # two turtle doves,
    -- # and a partridge in a pear tree.
    -- #
    -- # On the 5th day of Christmas my true love sent to me:
    -- # five gold rings,
    -- # four colley birds,
    -- # three French hens,
    -- # two turtle doves,
    -- # and a partridge in a pear tree.
    -- #
    -- # On the 6th day of Christmas my true love sent to me:
    -- # six geese a-laying,
    -- # five gold rings,
    -- # four colley birds,
    -- # three French hens,
    -- # two turtle doves,
    -- # and a partridge in a pear tree.
    -- #
    -- # On the 7th day of Christmas my true love sent to me:
    -- # seven swans a-swimming,
    -- # six geese a-laying,
    -- # five gold rings,
    -- # four colley birds,
    -- # three French hens,
    -- # two turtle doves,
    -- # and a partridge in a pear tree.
    -- #
    -- # On the 8th day of Christmas my true love sent to me:
    -- # eight maids a-milking,
    -- # seven swans a-swimming,
    -- # six geese a-laying,
    -- # five gold rings,
    -- # four colley birds,
    -- # three French hens,
    -- # two turtle doves,
    -- # and a partridge in a pear tree.
    -- #
    -- # On the 9th day of Christmas my true love sent to me:
    -- # nine ladies dancing,
    -- # eight maids a-milking,
    -- # seven swans a-swimming,
    -- # six geese a-laying,
    -- # five gold rings,
    -- # four colley birds,
    -- # three French hens,
    -- # two turtle doves,
    -- # and a partridge in a pear tree.
    -- #
    -- # On the 10th day of Christmas my true love sent to me:
    -- # ten pipers piping,
    -- # nine ladies dancing,
    -- # eight maids a-milking,
    -- # seven swans a-swimming,
    -- # six geese a-laying,
    -- # five gold rings,
    -- # four colley birds,
    -- # three French hens,
    -- # two turtle doves,
    -- # and a partridge in a pear tree.
    -- #
    -- # On the 11th day of Christmas my true love sent to me:
    -- # eleven lords a-leaping,
    -- # ten pipers piping,
    -- # nine ladies dancing,
    -- # eight maids a-milking,
    -- # seven swans a-swimming,
    -- # six geese a-laying,
    -- # five gold rings,
    -- # four colley birds,
    -- # three French hens,
    -- # two turtle doves,
    -- # and a partridge in a pear tree.
    -- #
    -- # On the 12th day of Christmas my true love sent to me:
    -- # twelve drummers drumming,
    -- # eleven lords a-leaping,
    -- # ten pipers piping,
    -- # nine ladies dancing,
    -- # eight maids a-milking,
    -- # seven swans a-swimming,
    -- # six geese a-laying,
    -- # five gold rings,
    -- # four colley birds,
    -- # three French hens,
    -- # two turtle doves,
    -- # and a partridge in a pear tree.
    -- #
    -- # =====================================================
    -- #
    -- # CUMULATIVE GIFT TOTALS:
    -- # partridge in a pear tree qty. 12
    -- # turtle doves qty. 22
    -- # French hens qty. 30
    -- # colley birds qty. 36
    -- # gold rings qty. 40
    -- # geese a-laying qty. 42
    -- # swans a-swimming qty. 42
    -- # maids a-milking qty. 40
    -- # ladies dancing qty. 36
    -- # pipers piping qty. 30
    -- # lords a-leaping qty. 22
    -- # drummers drumming qty. 12
    -- #
    -- # =====================================================
    -- #

    Mike Treseler, Dec 15, 2009

  2. On Dec 15, 1:57 am, Mike Treseler <> wrote:

    > I put trimR in my stocking, than you very much.

    Hmmm. I took a pass through the code to check it before
    posting, but an astute and paranoid reader should be
    able to find the unpleasant flaw in trimR()'s design
    (it works fine in the example, but isn't very general).

    As usual, exposure to public scrutiny is the best code review.
    --
    Jonathan Bromley

    Jonathan Bromley, Dec 15, 2009