Re: select.poll() and WSAPoll

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jean-Paul Calderone, May 6, 2008.

  1. On Tue, 6 May 2008 08:36:28 -0400, inhahe <> wrote:
    >select.poll isn't supported on Windows, because Windows doesn't have such a
    >feature, or at least it didn't until Vista. Vista implements the same thing
    >but called WSAPoll, an article is here
    >http://blogs.msdn.com/wndp/archive/2006/10/26/WSAPoll.aspx
    >I hope that the next edition of Python supports select.poll on Vista, or at
    >least that someone writes a third-party module fo it. As much as I'd love to
    >do it myself, it's probably beyond me.. i've never used poll before nor
    >written a Python extension. also, i don't have Vista.
    >Thanks

    If you use Twisted, then you can use I/O Completion Ports, which are even
    better than WSAPoll, and your code will also work with KQueue on BSD or
    EPoll on Linux without any changes. :)

    Jean-Paul

    Jean-Paul Calderone, May 6, 2008

  2. Jean-Paul Calderone

    Giles Brown Guest

    On 6 May, 14:18, Jean-Paul Calderone <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 6 May 2008 08:36:28 -0400, inhahe <> wrote:
    > >select.poll isn't supported on Windows, because Windows doesn't have such a
    > >feature, or at least it didn't until Vista. Vista implements the same thing
    > >but called WSAPoll, an article is here
    > >http://blogs.msdn.com/wndp/archive/2006/10/26/WSAPoll.aspx
    > >I hope that the next edition of Python supports select.poll on Vista, or at
    > >least that someone writes a third-party module fo it. As much as I'd love to
    > >do it myself, it's probably beyond me.. i've never used poll before nor
    > >written a Python extension. also, i don't have Vista.
    > >Thanks

    > If you use Twisted, then you can use I/O Completion Ports, which are even
    > better than WSAPoll, and your code will also work with KQueue on BSD or
    > EPoll on Linux without any changes. :)
    >
    > Jean-Paul

    The current docs describe the I/O Completion Ports reactor as
    "extremely experimental".

    http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/howto/choosing-reactor.html#auto8

    Is that overly conservative or is it as bleeding edge as it sounds?

    (IIRC there have been caveats like this on the Windows reactors for
    a while)

    Giles

    Giles Brown, May 6, 2008