RE: (semi-troll): Is Jython development dead?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Walter S. Leipold, Oct 10, 2006.

  1. John Roth () wrote:
    > I've had a couple of inquiries about Jython support
    > in PyFIT, and I've had to say that it simply isn't
    > supported. The latest point release requires Python
    > 2.3, and 2.4 will be required in the next year or so.
    >
    > John Roth
    > Python FIT

    Just last month, Sun hired Charles Nutter and Thomas Enebo to work on JRuby
    full-time. Can somebody with some street cred (like the PSF) do something
    to persuade Sun to support Jython the same way?

    -- Walt

    Walter S. Leipold, Oct 10, 2006

  2. Walter S. Leipold

    Steve Menard Guest

    "Walter S. Leipold" <> wrote in message
    > John Roth () wrote:
    >> I've had a couple of inquiries about Jython support
    >> in PyFIT, and I've had to say that it simply isn't
    >> supported. The latest point release requires Python
    >> 2.3, and 2.4 will be required in the next year or so.
    >>
    >> John Roth
    >> Python FIT

    > Just last month, Sun hired Charles Nutter and Thomas Enebo to work on
    > JRuby
    > full-time. Can somebody with some street cred (like the PSF) do something
    > to persuade Sun to support Jython the same way?
    >
    > -- Walt

    Keep in mind that Ruby and Python are close enough in style, that any
    improvements those guys make will also benifit Jython.

    Also, they haven't been hired to work exclusively on JRuby. They were also
    hired to look at tools to help with programming with dynamic languages. In
    this regard, they can help not only Jython, but Python itself!

    All in all a very good thing to see a high-profile company invest in dynamic
    languages.

    Steve Menard

    Steve Menard, Oct 10, 2006

  3. Walter S. Leipold

    Ray Guest

    Steve Menard wrote:
    > Keep in mind that Ruby and Python are close enough in style, that any
    > improvements those guys make will also benifit Jython.

    This is perhaps true in the long run, in the sense that it may make it
    easier for someone to implement Jython because those guys will make the
    JVM more dynamic language friendly. But in the short term it surely
    benefits Ruby significantly more than any other dynamic languages out
    there.

    > Also, they haven't been hired to work exclusively on JRuby. They were also
    > hired to look at tools to help with programming with dynamic languages. In
    > this regard, they can help not only Jython, but Python itself!

    This is just like how Microsoft hired Jim Hugunin, isn't it? He was
    hired to work on making .NET a friendly platform for dynamic languages.
    The fact that he did IronPython benefits Python--bigger initial
    exposure to the .NET world. Not Ruby (yet)

    > All in all a very good thing to see a high-profile company invest in dynamic
    > languages.

    Indeed!

    Ray, Oct 11, 2006