Re: sendmail library ?!

Discussion in 'Python' started by Cameron Simpson, Nov 13, 2013.

  1. On 13Nov2013 05:52, Tamer Higazi <> wrote:
    > I am looking for a python library that does mailing directly through
    > "sendmail".
    > When I look into the docs, I see only an "smtlip" library but nothing
    > that could serve with sendmail or postfix.

    Use the subprocess module. Pipe to:

    /usr/sbin/sendmail -oi addr1 addr2 ...

    If the exit code is 0, mail dispatched.

    This is a trivial function; you don't need a library for this.

    Both "sendmail" and "postfix" (and "qmail" et al) provide a "sendmail"
    executable for exactly this purpose.

    The smtplib is for making arbitrary SMTP operations, thus a whole
    module. Sendmail does all that for you, you only need to deliver
    the message to it and ensure it was accepted.

    Cheers,
    --
    Cameron Simpson <>

    The mere existence of a problem is no proof of the existence of a solution.
    - Yiddish Proverb
    Cameron Simpson, Nov 13, 2013