Re: Serial port number limitations?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Grant Edwards, Aug 13, 2003.

  1. In article <>, wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me if there is a limit on the port number (PC
    > COM port under windows) that Python recognises?

    Not that I'm aware of. I've used it with up to 128 serial ports.

    > I have developed and tested a simple aplication to 'ping'
    > itself (using a loop-back connector) which works perfectly OK
    > on normal PC ports, but fails abysmally on 16 port interface.

    Can you elaborate on "fails abysmally"?

    > Alternatively, perhaps it expects HEX?

    Not sure what you're asking. What's "it" and what do you mean
    by "HEX"?

    > I have found no clues in Serial.py

    I've always used the straight Win32 calls, but other's I've
    talked to have used Serial.py w/o problems.

    [ditch the HTML stuff, please]

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! Join the PLUMBER'S
    at UNION!!

    Grant Edwards, Aug 13, 2003