Re: Server-Side Includes

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Adrienne, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. Adrienne

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Matt Beckwith"
    <> writing in news::

    > I have switched my web site to a server which supports server-side
    > includes. I have a couple of questions:
    >
    > 1. Can I test out the includes on my PC, the same way I test out my
    > site on my PC? Or does the Include command only work on a server?
    >
    > 2. Since the extension has to be ".shtml" instead of ".html", does it
    > work to have an Include inside of the home page? I mean, it's called
    > index.html, so do I name it index.shtml? That is, if I rename it
    > index.shtml, will this be the page that's brought up automatically when
    > people go to my site?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Matt Beckwith, M.D.
    > http://drbeckwith.com

    1. If you don't want to run a server on your system, you can preview SHTML
    files with this handy little tool - SHTML viewer available at
    http://www.toolsforselling.com/v1/2/shtmview.htm . I have IIS running on
    my system, but sometimes I don't want to set up a virtual site, so I use
    this. Very easy to use, and free.

    2. You should name your index page index.shtml . The server will know to
    parse it that way.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com
    Adrienne, Jul 21, 2003

  2. Adrienne

    Rob McAninch Guest

    Adrienne <news:Xns93BEA8960E880arbpenyahoocom@207.115.63.159>:

    > 2. You should name your index page index.shtml . The server
    > will know to parse it that way.

    The server can be configured to be smarter than that. I would
    recommend using XBitHack on Apache if you can. That way you don't
    have to rename files, or possible break links (not as likely on a
    index file).

    http://rock13.com/webhelp/cool.rob

    --
    Rob - http://rock13.com/