Re: Server-Side Technologies confusion

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Web Developer, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. > "Web Developer" <> wrote:

    > > I'm confused with all the server-side technologies that are
    > > available for providing dynamic content.

    > Have you considered reading some tutorialish material, or would you
    > prefer getting the usual Usenet dose of added confusion? In the former
    > case, you might start from the good old (though CGI oriented)
    > http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/text/http-tut.html

    I prefer Usenet dose of added confusion.

    > > I gather so far is that cgi and servlets are programs that are
    > > executed on the server-side to generate web pages.

    > Not correct. But with sufficient amount of resemblance to facts to make
    > you confused. To begin with, CGI is not a program but an interface, and
    > CGI programs (CGI scripts) need not generate any Web pages, though they
    > often do at leisure time (i.e., their prime function is often something
    > completely different, but they might - and normally should - throw at
    > least a short response page at a browser).

    and what is the prime fucntion that cgi programs do?

    > > Note, cgi is
    > > obselete and has security programs and thus servlets are now used.
    > > Am i right?

    > No, you are not. Again with sufficient amount of resemblance to facts
    > to make you confused. All server side technologies have security
    > problems (sic), just as all software has (or, as we realists tend to
    > emphasize, everything has).

    what is sic?

    well im sure cgi tends to have more security problems than others. Also,
    there seems to be a push towards servlets and other technologies... for
    whatever reason im not sure of. One could be the support for complex types?

    > > asp, jsp, and php, and server-side scripting languages? Am i right
    > > again?

    > You do not present any statement (proposition) to which "right" or
    > "wrong" could be attributed, just an enumeration of expressions.

    what are you on about?

    > > Is there anything im missing?

    > Yes.

    really?

    ---
    Web Developer, Jun 23, 2003

  2. Web Developer

    Art Sackett Guest

    Web Developer <> wrote:

    > well im sure cgi tends to have more security problems than others.

    If you are sure of this, you are very much mistaken.

    > Also,
    > there seems to be a push towards servlets and other technologies... for
    > whatever reason im not sure of.

    micro$oft versus $un. $$$

    > One could be the support for complex types?

    Complex types? Types of what? Data types? How does the interface affect
    the "types" supported by the underlying programming language?

    --
    Art Sackett,
    Patron Saint of Drunken Fornication
    Art Sackett, Jun 23, 2003

  3. Web Developer wrote:
    >> "Web Developer" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm confused with all the server-side technologies that are
    >>> available for providing dynamic content.

    >> Have you considered reading some tutorialish material, or would you
    >> prefer getting the usual Usenet dose of added confusion?

    > I prefer Usenet dose of added confusion.

    Apparently so. A little googling would have found ...

    >> All server side technologies have security
    >> problems (sic), just as all software has (or, as we realists tend to
    >> emphasize, everything has).

    > what is sic?

    .... this

    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sic&r=67

    <q>sic - Thus; so. Used to indicate that a quoted passage, especially one
    containing an error or unconventional spelling, has been retained in its
    original form or written intentionally.</q
    William Tasso - http://www.WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Jun 23, 2003