Re: session.abandon throws 'invalid view state' exception in netscape

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), May 14, 2004.

  1. You should run the session.abandon and then redirect. But, the page they are
    redirected to should be stateless so you do not set up another Session on
    the new page.

    If you are really "anal", you can clear all of the session keys before
    abandoning to ensure they are completely cleared out. If you are not using
    Session values, this is not an issue.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think outside the box!
    "jhill" <> wrote in message
    > i am trying to allow the user to click log out and redirect to another web

    page. i have done this two ways.

    > a server side script in the button that does this:
    >
    > Session.Abandon()
    > Response.Redirect("logout.aspx")
    >
    > logout.aspx simply states "logged out". no other logic.
    >
    > or, i have tried to have the button do this:
    >
    > Response.Redirect("logout.aspx")is i
    >
    > and on logout.aspx, i simpy have this at the very end of the html:
    >
    > <% session.abandon %>
    >
    > OK... now you know what i've tried. this works great in IE (either

    method). however, in netscape, i get an invalid view state error and the
    session is still alive. the only way i can kill a session in netscape is to
    have this in the button:

    > Session.Abandon()
    >
    > now... yes, that kills the session, but the problem is the user is still

    on the same page. i need them redirected to a page that clears the page in
    the browser. is this at all possible???????

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), May 14, 2004

  2. thank you for your response... i'm hoping you can help me further. i did the following code inside a button:

    Session.Abandon()
    Response.Redirect("logout.htm")

    this resulted in the exact same error. note that logout.htm has nothing on it... it's a blank page. so, i thought i'd try something outside of our web site and i redirected to http://www.yahoo.com. same thing. invalid session.

    i'm using hte latest netscape (7.1 or 7.2, i forget). internet explorer works fine (big surprise). i've had nothing but problems with netscape, but i want to make it work.

    what is going on???

    thanks for any help.
    =?Utf-8?B?amhpbGw=?=, May 16, 2004