Re: Setting Width

Discussion in 'HTML' started by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois_de_Dardel?=, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. Tony Cooper wrote:

    > The question is how to set the width so that it is viewable on at
    > least most monitors. Somewhere, I think I want to set <width = 90%>
    > so the two-column image adjusts to the width of the screen it's being
    > viewed on.
    > If I use an image that is 900 pixels wide, it shows just fine on my
    > screen. It might overflow other screens. It seems that if I upload
    > an image that is 1000 pixels wide, and set the width of the whole
    > table as a percentage of the screen, that it would adjust to any
    > screen. (I do understand that I'm loading the full image, but load
    > time isn't really a problem with the image of 100 dpi and a fairly
    > small overall table.)

    OK, I think I got it: you have noticed that some recent browsers do
    scale pictures at the time of rendering. Be careful, this is a feature
    of _some_ browsers, not a general behaviour of all. You should not take
    it for granted.

    A picture is not defined by "100 dpi". This sort of definition is useful
    only when you want to print it. A picture in HTML is defined by its size
    (width in pixels by height in pixels) and by its "weight" (in kB =
    kilobytes).

    I would recommend you should use pictures no larger than about 720 px in
    width and 540 px in height, so that they will fit nicely in screens or
    windows of 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768. Additionally, the pict "weight"
    (file size) should preferably not be much more than 50 kB for a quick
    download, acceptable even on a dial-up.

    > If I'm on the right track, where do I put the <width =95%> constraint
    > on the width of the whole table?

    Now you see that this "width=whatever" is useless. Let the user decide
    what window size he has and how he wants to see your beautiful image.
    I do use the attribute 'Width="100%"' in several of my pages, but this
    is only to center the image on the screen. The complete tag is:
    <TABLE WIDTH="100%" ALIGN="center" BORDER="0"> plus padding and spacing
    if required.

    If you want to center your table, give it a width of 100%. If you don't,
    i.e. if you are happy with left-alignment, don't give it any width.

    --
    Fran├žois de Dardel

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois_de_Dardel?=, Aug 6, 2003