Re: Several Perl Questions - Nov. 5, 2013

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Charlton Wilbur, Nov 14, 2013.

  1. >>>>> "EDG" == E D G <> writes:

    EDG> Since he could not determine how to translate the code I
    EDG> am assuming that FORTRAN 77 is no longer in general use.

    General use, no; it's been superseded by several later standards.
    However, Fortran 90 didn't remove any features and explicitly stated
    that any conforming FORTRAN 77 code was also conforming Fortran 90
    code. Anyone with experience of Fortran since 1966 (when the FORTRAN
    77 standardization process began) should be able to make sense of the
    code.

    Hell, anyone with programming experience at all ought to be able to; one
    of my jobs in graduate school was translating from FORTRAN code to C for
    an engineering/computer science cross-department project. (I'd be happy
    to send you a rate card, but I doubt you'd be willing to pay my rates.)

    Your problem is not FORTRAN 77; your problem is your choice of
    "professional programmers" and the incoherence of the code you're
    starting with.

    Charlton

    --
    Charlton Wilbur
    Charlton Wilbur, Nov 14, 2013

  2. Charlton Wilbur <> wrote:
    >Your problem is not FORTRAN 77; your problem [...] the incoherence of the code you're
    >starting with.

    To put it more bluntly (based on the 2 code snippets that I have seen):
    it is exceedingly difficult to transform garbage into diamonds or even
    just into something useful.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Nov 14, 2013