Re: shorttags

Discussion in 'HTML' started by viza, Jul 24, 2008.

  1. viza

    viza Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:42:47 -0400, sheldonlg wrote:

    > I am trying to debug an application that is an intranet app behind a
    > firewall accessible only via vpn. The problem I am having is that the
    > tables sorting is now working properly in Firefox 2.

    "not"?

    > Doing a "view source" only yields the template, as the the page is
    > written as a response back from an AJAX call.

    > So, I went to internet
    > explorer and did a javascript:document.write(mainwapper.innerHTML).

    > The problem with this procedure is that it converts things like id="foo"
    > to id=foo.

    That is valid html.

    > ... I want to keep it "strict" and XHTML.
    >
    > How can I get the writing to not strip off the surrounding quotes?

    Well if internet explorer is internally converting your xhtml to html,
    then perhaps what you need to debug is the html generated, not the
    intermediate text that your javascript writes.

    Alternatively, does your API (ajax?) provide a method to get the
    generated page before it is passed to the browser? Something like
    innerHTML but that gets called earlier?

    > While we are at it, --- and this may sound simple ---, W3C validation
    > with "strict" complains about align="center" for <td>, and about other
    > attributes. How can I write these to accomplish the centering and still
    > be compliant with the "strict"?

    The main difference and reason that strict is preferable to transitional
    is that these attributes are not allowed. You can't "sneak them in" and
    still be valid. You have to use CSS for styling you pages. (Another big
    difference is that frames aren't allowed).

    Also, you seem to think that xhtml is somehow better than html; it
    isn't.

    viza, Jul 24, 2008