    > that is an intranet app behind a
    > firewall accessible only via vpn.

    So post a URL to a copy of it, redacted as necessary.

    Andy Dingley, Jul 24, 2008

  2. Andy Dingley

    Gus Richter Guest

    sheldonlg wrote:
    > Andy Dingley wrote:
    >> On 23 Jul, 20:42, sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:
    >>> I am trying to debug an application

    >> So post a URL
    >>
    >>> that is an intranet app behind a
    >>> firewall accessible only via vpn.

    >> So post a URL to a copy of it, redacted as necessary.

    > I am unable to do that! This is an AJAX app, where the various pages
    > depend upon accessing databased to build the html and then sending it
    > back to be displayed via html. When I simply try to make an app with
    > the final html output, it works properly and I cannot reproduce the error.
    >
    > I fully understand that a URL would be best - but that is impossible in
    > this case. That is why I asked about how to get the javascript
    > document.write to no remove the quotes. I want to try to validate that
    > stuff using the same headers that are used in the real application.
    > Perhaps I can find something in the validation that might get it to work.
    >
    > Again, a URL is impossible to provide and a "copy of it" does not
    > reproduce the problem -- so it is useless.

    Have you tried id='foo' instead of id="foo"?

    [to get the javascript document.write to not remove the quotes] = [for
    javascript to carry and not act on it (as a string)] is something like this:

    id=/'foo/' or id=/"foo/"

    isn't it?

    --
    Gus

    Gus Richter, Jul 24, 2008

  3. Andy Dingley

    Stevo Guest

    Gus Richter wrote:
    > Have you tried id='foo' instead of id="foo"?

    One further possibility (you'll probably know right away whether it's
    worth trying or not) is this:

    id="'foo'"

    Maybe the double quotes will be removed leaving only the singles. Of
    course if you have a whole string wrapped in single quotes then you'd
    need something like this:

    '~~ bla bla bla ~~ id="\'foo\'" ~~ bla bla ~~'

    Stevo, Jul 24, 2008
  4. Gus Richter wrote:
    > Have you tried id='foo' instead of id="foo"?

    That would make no difference at all.

    > [to get the javascript document.write to not remove the quotes] = [for
    > javascript to carry and not act on it (as a string)] is something like this:
    >
    > id=/'foo/' or id=/"foo/"

    Syntax error.

    <'> and <"> delimit string literals with no difference in parsing their
    content (in contrast to, e.g. PHP); `/' delimits RegExp (Regular Expression)
    literals.

    > isn't it?

    It is not, that is utter nonsense. RTFM before you make any recommendation.

    <http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference>

    F'up2 c.l.js

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Jul 25, 2008
  5. Andy Dingley

    Gus Richter Guest

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
    > Gus Richter wrote:
    >> Have you tried id='foo' instead of id="foo"?

    > That would make no difference at all.
    >
    >> [to get the javascript document.write to not remove the quotes] = [for
    >> javascript to carry and not act on it (as a string)] is something like this:
    >>
    >> id=/'foo/' or id=/"foo/"

    > Syntax error.
    >
    > <'> and <"> delimit string literals with no difference in parsing their
    > content (in contrast to, e.g. PHP); `/' delimits RegExp (Regular Expression)
    > literals.
    >
    >> isn't it?

    > It is not, that is utter nonsense. RTFM before you make any recommendation.
    >
    > <http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference>
    >

    > F'up2 c.l.js

    Restored to also include alt.html

    > PointedEars

    Not being into javascript, I bow to your expertise as a javascript guru.
    I was just _suggesting_ he check his nesting of quotes as per:

    document.write("you said, 'hi' to me");
    document.write('you said, "hi" to me');

    Then I suggested that he could also try the Escape Character to escape
    the quotes as per:

    document.write("you said, \"hi\" to me");
    document.write('you said, \'hi\' to me');

    I placed a question mark (?) in my response since I was not sure about
    the (/), thinking that since he was using javascript he would pick up on
    the obvious mistake, as you did. I'm extremely sorry that I made a
    mistake in using / instead of \.

    Try to get the gist of what is written before coming on so strong. The
    OP has a problem, so I tried to make suggestions that I thought might
    help since none were being provided. Correct my mistakes, no problem,
    but RTFM and nonsense do seem very harsh.

    Oh, and why not provide the proper, in fact any, answer to the OP
    instead since you're so knowledgeable?

    --
    Gus

    Gus Richter, Jul 25, 2008