Re: shorttags

Discussion in 'HTML' started by BootNic, Jul 24, 2008.

  1. BootNic

    BootNic Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:42:47 -0400
    sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote in:
    <>

    [snip]
    > Doing a "view source" only yields the template, as the the page is
    > written as a response back from an AJAX call. So, I went to internet
    > explorer and did a javascript:document.write(mainwapper.innerHTML).
    > My intent was to build a page that was close to what the actual page
    > was by doing a "view page" from there and cutting and pasting.

    [snip]
    > How can I get the writing to not strip off the surrounding quotes?

    [snip]

    Internet Explorer Developer Toolbar

    http://tinyurl.com/6pmvb9

    If you lean how to use it, it will allow you to access the source as it
    is.

    Install it, play around with it, if you can't figure it out just ask.
    --

    BootNic Thu Jul 24, 2008 04:39 pm
    It is well known that "problem avoidance" is an important part of

    BootNic, Jul 24, 2008

  2. BootNic

    BootNic Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 19:32:59 -0400
    sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote in:
    <>

    > BootNic wrote:
    >> On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:42:47 -0400
    >> sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote in:
    >> <>
    >>
    >> [snip]
    >>> Doing a "view source" only yields the template, as the the page is
    >>> written as a response back from an AJAX call. So, I went to
    >>> internet explorer and did a
    >>> javascript:document.write(mainwapper.innerHTML). My intent was to
    >>> build a page that was close to what the actual page was by doing a
    >>> "view page" from there and cutting and pasting.

    >> [snip]
    >>> How can I get the writing to not strip off the surrounding quotes?

    [snip]

    >> If you lean how to use it, it will allow you to access the source as
    >> it is.
    >>
    >> Install it, play around with it, if you can't figure it out just
    >> ask.

    > Actually, it also strips the quotes. In Firefox's Firebug, the html
    > area does not strip the quotes.

    Interesting. I am not able to get it to strip quotes, in fact it seems
    that if I remove them it adds them.

    --

    BootNic Fri Jul 25, 2008 02:37 pm
    The human mind treats a new idea the same way the body treats a

    BootNic, Jul 25, 2008

  3. BootNic wrote:
    > sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote in:
    >> BootNic wrote:
    >>> sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote in:
    >>> [snip]
    >>> [snip]

    > [snip]
    >>> If you lean how to use it, it will allow you to access the source as
    >>> it is.
    >>>
    >>> Install it, play around with it, if you can't figure it out just
    >>> ask.

    >> Actually, it also strips the quotes. In Firefox's Firebug, the html
    >> area does not strip the quotes.

    > Interesting. I am not able to get it to strip quotes, in fact it seems
    > that if I remove them it adds them.

    The proprietary `innerHTML' property value of an element object provides an
    *HTML serialization* of the represented element's subtree (no matter the
    underlying markup language); only certain HTML attribute values need to be
    delimited with the <"> or <'> characters:

    <http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.2.2>

    In contrast, Firebug's HTML tab shows an *XML serialization* of the DOM tree
    (no matter the underlying markup language); in applications of XML (like
    XHTML), all attribute values must be delimited with the <"> or <'> characters:

    <http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/#NT-AttValue>

    (Try and inspect an HTML element like `<BR>'; it shows `<br/>' instead.
    Tested with Firebug 1.2.0b6.)

    HTH

    PointedEars
    --